1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mad Customer, what to do?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Bluehealer, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Then ask them " why did you shoot that baby in the first place?" LOL Tell them that they can upgrade next year if they hold off on the trigger.

2. YUP ! Never Fails, there WILL always be a few Dreamer hunters & Fishermen ( Braggers who STRETCH the truth ! ) out there & NO Matter what YOU do or say they WILL feel there Buck ( antlers or neck ) were Larger !

I have BLOWN the clients Brains out for years with BIG Rack Bucks with HUGH antlers in my showroom ( repros & real bones & all sizes as well on display ................ just to show them WHAT IS Possible out there .........................They come & bring others just to see the displays so they KNOW when they bring In their TROPHY I TELL them OUTRIGHT they have a TROPHY ( their trophy ) nothing to Compare to MY displays ( explaining again what I have & WHY etc. ! Never do I hear much Negative about their Buck is to small ( because I GET them to THINK Reality first ...when they leave it for mounting lol ............

BUT, there STILL will be a few ...........................

or their FISH..............................was larger !

This problem even Blows more out of Proportion Many times worse with FISH ! You've heard the story of ( MY fish was SO BIG, right , - they tell all their buddies, a false Length & weight & girth ( bragging all the time , larger each time they tell it , lol ................. & then,.............. but when they show & TELL , after mounting IT , all of a sudden IT shrunk .

I have had clients want False information on a nameplate ( stating their fish was Much heavier & longer ) for the nameplate than the specimen IS or was etc. I paid heavily for this one time , only , when another fisherman - one of the client's friends saw the mount & read the nameplate , said nothing to the customer, BUT Phoned me to SAY I must have given the client the wrong fish or shrunk it , lol ! So, then I had to explain the customer wanted to BRAG SO BAD he demanded I make the nameplate to read this way .

NEVER Again will I ever do that, lol, So they will have to get their own nameplate made if they want to BRAG that way !

Then there are the customers who WANT the taxidermist to MAKE their FISH Larger & IT can be done in several ways for skin mounts etc. JUST to BRAG & Or show their buddy their fish was larger , lol .

One more wild story for ya, lol

.........................One customer said He would NOT Pay for his Beautiful Trophy Musky mount til I could PROVE it was HIS FISH . He said it looked shorter than it was when he caught it . I said SUR thing ( but before I Prove it ) I really DID NOT Care if he took it as I could SELL it for more than he was Paying me anyways ( I told him this with a BIG Laugh but seriousally !

ANY round object with thickness ( that is bent into a curve ) usually WILL measure less on the inside of the curve than on the outside or the back of the curve . Understand ?? Try it & see for your self ........... The fish mount measured about 1 1/2 to 2 inches less then what I charged him ( I always measure a fish laying flat etc. for the priceing ) as most taxidermists do . Some actually charge by the inch ( measureing the length & girth added togeather x so much per inch ............. trickey SALES by phone indeed , sounds cheap & gets them to your shop lol........... !

So, I measured the mount on both the front - inside curve & the outside or back of the curve . I asked HIM ( as I measured the back side ) IF he would pay me MORE IF IT measured Greater than the measurement I charged him orginally ? He just chuckled & acted very serious that it Better measure like the fish was orginally ! I Had to teach HIM a good lesson but he got me GOOD in the end !

It measured MORE on the back alright as I knew it would & of course HE did not offer to pay more , but was VERY Confused then as I told him ( split the difference between the inside & outside measurements & THERE YOU Have the flat measurement , what I charged for in the first place !

He wrote me a personal check & the check bounced ! I was Very lucky he was NOT from out of state or I likely would never had collected the $$ . I had a NIGHTMARE getting paid for the fish BUT I was Pissed & Dragged him to court as he was an ASS ( excuse the language ) ....He ended up spending Xmas IN Jail as the Police found him & took him IN , arrested HIM on xmas eve ! SORRY Pal, IT was ALL YOUR Falt ! Most times IT IS Not worth it to Chase people down for insufficient payment But sometimes YOU MUST to teach them a LESSON, or their children turn out the same !

Enough .....................I took Up way to much space , Hope I did not tire you ?

3. Galen

Galen 218-263-7177 www.EdgewaterTaxidermy.com

This post has gone off track. LOL

Oh well. I never take a Check on the balance . Always a credit card or cash for the very same reason for a BAD check ….. and I never weigh a Fish for a Customer.

I had I guy call all HAPPY and tell me he wanted me to mount his walleye he just caught . That day.

He said it was a 10 pounder. . Well he brought it into my shop and wanted to know if I had a Scale to weigh it on . I pulled out my New Digital scale and the fish was 8 and a half pound. You could see the wind leave his sails...

Well long story short he still mounted it and I told him it is still a Very nice fish for around here. Which it is. And he left happy. but Never again will I do that .