1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

dead bugs

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by kycooner, Feb 14, 2007.

1. kycooner

kycooner Set'em Up Josie

i aquired a beetle colony jan 5,i got them in a blue plastic tote with a wire top,shredded newspaper for bedding,styroform for shedding, water every other day ,mist a paper towel with squirt bottle,they live in the house ,temp averages 65 to 72.
    Day before yesterday i noticed a few dead bugs on the gray cardboard where i feed them,so today i lefted some of the shredded newspaper and noticed sevral dead bugs ,what am i doing wrong?

2. bbones

bbones New Member

WY
    They don't live forever. The best thing to do is wait and see. You should have baby bugs in a few days. Hopefully, you have some still alive to continue reproduce.

3. kycooner

kycooner Set'em Up Josie

oh i still got a bunch,but the dead ones i see are in all different stages of growth

4. bbones

bbones New Member

WY
    The different stages of dead ones could just be the instars shedding their skin. Which means that they are eating, and growing. Good news. You can tell by looking closely at the top of the back of the larva (the hairy ones) and sometimes you can see the opening where the larger bug left his old skin behind.

5. kycooner

kycooner Set'em Up Josie

any other ideas,do they get any kinda diseases?

6. Roadkill

Roadkill Jackalopes are Real !!!!!!!!!!!!

They do get diseases and mites o nthem that can do them in.
    You should really increase the temp a little more.
    I like saw dust as a better bedding as some new printing inks can be bad for then, and cardboard boxes can sometimes have pestisides on them from warehouses that have to treat imported boxes for bugs. I used to work as a exterminator and you would be supprized atthe things that coudl have residual pestisides on them.
    Anyway, that is about all I can help with other than looking at the closely like wiht a magnifying glass and seeing if they are a complete dead bug, or a hollow shell, or if they have mites on the live bugs. They will be very small tiny spider looking creatures that are living on the bettles in all stages.
    They are a big threat to dermestids.