1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Making a Rock Base for Large Mounts (+PICS)

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by murph, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Gobblingfever

Gobblingfever 100% PEER GOBBLER ADDICTION!!!!

Re: Making a Rock Base for Large Mounts

MArk. Hope this goes into the tutorial section. Nice. I need all the habitat help I can

2. murph

murph Member

Your very welcome Gobblingfever. If ya need any help feel free to message me.

Thanks, Lance!

3. mohunter3

mohunter3 New Member

I love it! I have a bobcat that I did for my dad but he hasn't come up with a base he wants. He'll be a perfect candidate to try this out on!

4. murph

murph Member

Mohunter 3,

glad I could help ya..... any problems or questions shoot em to me and I will reply .... I'm here quite often ...

Lance!

5. Southland Taxidermy

Southland Taxidermy Join your State and National Taxidermy Association

What color would be good to use instead of the black paint mixture say some color of brown for a african mount to go on ? any idea?

6. murph

murph Member

Hi,
    In answering your question I believe one could use about any shade one would want. I would suggest that u make up a small rock and try it with different shades and see what works for you. I don't see a reason why it coudln't be used on any type habitat.

Thanks for looking,
    Lance!

7. bucknduck

bucknduck Member

Nice job! Been using the same method on mine for a couple of years now. Easy as 1,2,3, and customers love it!

8. osbornetaxidermy

osbornetaxidermy New Member

Marking this one for after I get back this spring from my bear hunt in Idaho! Thanks for taking the time to do this!

9. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

Re: Re: Making a Rock Base for Large Mounts (+PICS)

Awesome!! Thanks for taking the time to share!!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

10. Ron1949

Ron1949 Member

Good Tutorial I made a rock for my standing black bear the same way you did put casters on the bottom to roll around!

11. trappermansc

trappermansc New Member

That's nice. One question can you use newspaper instead of burlap? Was gonna try one tomorrow myself but don't have any burlap

12. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

It would be worth the effort to get burlap. Local garden or hardware store should carry it.

13. Lance, thankyou, this is just what Ive been looking for!
    Cam
    Down Under
    Australia

14. Great instruction!

15. WILD_BUNCH

WILD_BUNCH New Member

great turtorial

16. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

I have used this method to make a few rock, There is a different way to make the texture on the rock that I use. I put the burlap on the wire frame then use a drywall texture gun to spray the drywall mud/plaster mix on the burlap. It give you a granite type texture that we have in central Texas, then paint it basically the same way you do.

Great post thanks!

17. Great job Murph, thanks for sharing!

18. Western Wildlife Art Studio

Western Wildlife Art Studio STUDIO PHONE (406) 356-2100

Nice tutorial - glad to see the old methods still at work today,,. We used same steps this almost 35 years building fiberglass rocks as well . Thanks for sharing