1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Stripping a Fish?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by curtisholson, Jan 26, 2010.

1. curtisholson

curtisholson New Member

I've got a skin mount Brown that needs to be stripped and repainted but it was glossed with Polytranspar 2 part Competition gloss. I would just white it out but there's some bubbles and runs in the finish that I don't want to just paint over. I did a search on this and a few people said they use Citrus Strip, but didn't say what kind of gloss was used, does anyone know if that will work with a 2 part gloss? There's a lot of gloss and paint on the fish and it would be nice if I could get it down to the scales to start fresh. This is a first for me so I thought I'd see if anyone else has had this problem.

2. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

You will find 100 answers to this question depending on who chimes in.

Ive used everything from WASCO Super Stripper, to Laquer, to Aerosol Airplane Paint Remover, to Acetone. Depending on the fish, depending on the gloss, etc, etc. WASCOS stripper works well, but will mess up your fins if your not carefull. Also will eat into some reproduction blanks at times.

Good luck!!!!
    Jimmy

3. I think using Acetone would be your best bet but on a rag and wiping it down with fresh rags. Paint will try to build on your rag if you use it too long since acetone dries up very quickly. I've used a whole box of shop rags to clean a paint job up. You don't want the acetone getting to the form under the skin. It will melt it. Acetone is a strong enough of a solvent to strip most paint/ Laquer thinner would be another good choice. If you have a few air bubbles. Just sand the out slightly with 320 grit paper. Use the grey automotive paper and wet sand the spot. Use a good white primer and start from there. You will lose some scale detail though with too heavy of coats.

4. Acetone is almost useless on 2 part.

Find some Citrus stripper it seems to be the mildest I can find, does a excellent job of lifting all paint and easy on the fish skin. Its a milky orange color I think walmart or home depot has it.

5. curtisholson

curtisholson New Member

Thanks for the help, I think I'll try out the Citrus Strip.