1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Painting a Bluegill Reproduction

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Cole, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Jamie E

Jamie E Member

that's awesome ! how much time did it take you to paint it ? and thank you for sharing it with us , you are an inspiration to many ! Now I'm going to go look up the LMB , must have missed it ! Thanks again , Jamie E

2. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Thanks for the compliments. It probably takes me 1.5 to 2 hours to paint one. Hereis the LMB I did if you have trouble finding it. http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,109484.0.html

3. J_Guid

J_Guid New Member

Very nice! I am sure it will help a lot of us!

4. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Cole,

I used your tutorial, but subbed out a couple colors. Instead of the Paynes Grey, I used Yox's Grey ,and I used Candy bright orange, instead of Malard orange. Pretty close to the same otherwise .

Thanks for putting this on here, and it sure came in handy!!

Jimmy

Attached Files:

5. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Don't tell people you can use Yox gray for things other than deer noses...that's a secret.

Looks good my man.

6. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Damn Jimmy, your not suppose to put a plate in them, you are suppose to lay them on a plate! LOL Looks good. What a pig! Dan

7. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Damn....and thats not a competition fish?

8. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Simply a wholesale fish for a customer in Nebraska! Thanks for the kind words.

9. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

another awesome post how did I miss this..

10. THANK YOU again for sharing!!!

11. Just found this tutorial Cole "GREAT JOB"!

12. Looks like it should be laying on the ice, next to a hole! (They are really "bluegilly" looking when you first pull them out, just like yours!) A question, do you seal between any of the different media applications? The only time I see where you mention sealing, is sealing the powders with polytranspar sealer before glossing. Great tutorial! Thanks, Tom

13. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

You can seal between mediums if you like, but unless it's a dry powder it isn't necessary. It can however, help to add depth to the paint job. Just keep in mind that if you seal it with a gloss the powders won't work as well because they will want to slide off. Seal w/ a sealer, and just use a flash coat so once dry the powders will have some "tooth" on the fish to grab onto.

14. Skip

Skip New Member

What kind are the water color pencils and where do you get them? Skip, from Ohio.

15. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I imagine any brand water color pencil would work. These were Derwent pencils that can be found in WASCO, McKenzie, Dick Blick, Michael's, etc.

16. Skip

Skip New Member

Thank you for the quick response. I have been painting fish for the past 35 years but I sure like what you are doing. Like you I do much better with a light fish or repro. Alot of my skin mounts get too dark. Please put some more tutorial stuff together, ie walleye, northern pike, muskie, smallmouth . This forum is the greatest thing to have come along. Skip

17. tviper56

tviper56 Active Member

Cole, that is a great tutorial. Already saw things I will do to improve mi replicas. You are a credit to the trade. Thanks for the lessons. Tim

18. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Tim, you should have come to the winter meeting a couple weeks ago, you could have seen it all first hand. ;)

19. edgar

edgar Member

hey where can i buy those paints and dry powders

20. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist