1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

OK, Tell me. What does a REAL taxidermist look like?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by George, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

LOL!

2. mrdux

mrdux Member

I worked in chemical plants for 25+ years and everything there stinks. I swore I would never again work in an area that stinks if there was something I could do about it. I get many comments about my studio not smelling like other taxidermist shops. I try to keep the clutter to a minimum but right now, getting ready to leave for MO for snow goose season, I can't walk thru the place. I do try to keep a reasonably neat appearance and there is ZERO tobacco use in my shop. I swore that after having to work in tobacco as a kid, I would never put the nasty crap in my mouth or lungs. Does the no-tobacco use policy hurt my business? I could care less either way.

3. I don't do any of those things, except wear jeans. But they aren't stained up and hole-y.

4. Mason

Mason Active Member

I don't dress to impress. Or try and put on a show. I am adamant about being clean though!. I always have a face full of snuff, when in the shop.With spitters strategically placed for access whatever I am doing ;) I dress for comfort. If my old worn jeans, workboots, and t shirt dont satisfy your needs. Move on.

5. Major

Major New Mexico.....Not much different than the old one

I'm short, but efficient........

Attached Files:

6. Mark V.

Mark V. Chinook Salmon replica

We always try and keep our shop clean and good smelling when clients are here to dropoff or pick up their mounts. Im not old(40) nor fat so I dont fit that mold. I want to give people a good 1st impression especially if they are a new client. I wear a apron and gloves for just about every aspect of taxidermy so my hands are always clean, Mark

7. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

I like to think that I pretty much break every steriotype of the typical taxidermist

[​IMG]

I always try to keep my shop clean and smelling good (sometimes it's hard to avoid..). I don't wear a uniform, but I wear decent jeans or pants and a camouflage shirt (helps hide any mess I MAY have got on me.. AND kinda goes along with what I'm doing!)

8. Twisted.

Twisted. Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

I dont look all clean and nice. And all my customers know my shop isnt ever going to be clean. I let my work speak for me...not my clothes or my shop floor. :)

This is what i look like on an average day of work.
    [​IMG]

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Here is what a txidermist looks like,,,, two of the best!

Attached Files:

10. RumRunner

RumRunner Nicholas Dugas, (337) 205-1269

damn i fit 3,4,6,7,8. i have 2 pair of jeens i wear, one is damn near white. i wear a leather belt with a buckle. my hands look like hell.

11. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Ryan.....why are you building a log cabin inside your shop ???

Fawk you Paul!

12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm sorry, but I've seen that tired ass excuse here several times about "They see what they get. If they don't like it, go elsewhere." Well, do you know what, SOME OF THEM DO. You see, I get customers like that, but I also get customers you won't ever see. And when you come pissing and moaning that you don't get top end customers, I'm going to explain to you why (not that you'll "get it"). A hunter with disposable cash CAN and DOES select his taxidermist by the quality of their work, but there's this unwritten law that even good work can't stand the test of being done in a pig sty by a slob. Whether or not that's true is irrelevant. If the CUSTOMER thinks that, then it really doesn't matter. Would you go to a barber or hair dresser whose shop looked like yours? So keep on sticking your head in the sand. First impression ALWAYS matter. I hear that all the time, but I can guarantee you that you NEVER hear that. This industry is going places. You can ride in the club car or you can ride in the baggage car but I know which end of the train holds the people with the money.

13. Mason

Mason Active Member

14. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

This is a picture of my favorite taxidermist. She doesn't fit the Garland's image at all. She is also a great flat artist and sculptor, VW mechanic, Photographer, computer whiz and has an MBA.

[​IMG]

15. George

Then would you please go out and buy her a damned pair of shoes!!! She's too pretty to be wearing dork shoes like Voyer. ROTFLMAO

16. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

LOL George I think ALOT of the women would argue with you on that about her shoes, I see nothing wrong with them, they look comfy

17. George

OH NO! You and TOM VOYER sharing fashion advice??? All I know is that those things were the only choice we had for "gym shoes" in the '50's and I don't give a damned if Gucci makes them, they make whoever wears them look like they have on clown shoes.

18. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

she's wearing shoes?
    I never noticed......( looking down)
    OH YEAH......she does have some 'converse" style sneakers on.......( looking back up)
    who gives a crap george........god you ARE old!!!!! LMAO

ignore him sweetheart.......you look just FINE to me.

19. crankin

crankin New Member

WI
    all i have to say is Rick is a lucky man, and i could care less what kinda shoes she wants wear lol

20. Id say Nickie has fabulos taste