1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I nice story about a young taxidermist

Discussion in 'Training' started by Rick Krane, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

I sure don't like to write on here daily but it seems that way I’m sure as of late. I wanted to however take the opportunity to share in a bit of our youth of taxidermy with you. I had the opportunity work last year with a young man from New England whose mom called me via a mutual friend and asked if I could help her with her son. Not unlike other kids his age he got in to a bit of mischief and was having some real issues at home and in school. I asked how could I help and she said that her son loved to fish and our mutual friend let her know that I did as well. I meet young master Tim and he meet up to his mothers billing. We sent the after noon together at my shop and I took Tim and his mom out fishing. Tim did well with a few bass a one big brown. I asked him if he would like to make a mold and create a cast of his fish where he would do the work him self. Mom and I made the agreement that once per week for several weeks he could spend 4 hours with me and work on his fish. For travels reasons we meet at our friends Ed shop which was 1/2 way for each of us.

2. Rick Krane

Tim didn’t want me to take any pictures as he explained he didn’t do pictures but his mom took a few and this is how we got to have these. I never posted any thing of this until now as Tim didn’t want any thing mentioned about this until now. Tim asked his mom to call me and asked me if he could be on the taxidermy net so his class mates could see what he did and wants to do now for a profession after he gets his degree in marine biology.

Here are a few pictures of Master Tim’s first fish. He had a goal in mind he wanted to show his teachers that he was more then a “young punk” in his words. My friend Ed talked his mom and letting him go to a New England Taxidermy show in Maine. Very friendly people there and he was welcomed as a fellow taxidermist who made him feel good about his decision. Tim was nervous that he was too young at 15 years old. To Tim surprise he went home with some silk and hard where on this day and lots of folks made him feel pretty special about this accomplishment. Tim did all the work him self. A bit of direction and some Fish boot camp and Tim’s diligences and hard work paid off for him.

3. Rick Krane

Tim did a presentation at his School where I went to talk about his experience and my own with working with a motivated young man with direction.

Tim has done 2 more fish since and realized that it sure is hard work to get good at any thing. I write this little story to read just for one reason good I hope and that is take time if you can to help young folks out. Tim may continue to do some taxidermy and maybe some day he will make a living but if he doesn’t he worked hard and made something of his efforts. No video game and no MTV. Lots of plaster, bondo, and paint, Hands on work and a lot of self pride fro a young man who may have taken a different path last year according to Mom. I’m very glad Tim’s Mom took the pictures of this time in his life and I’m glad he wanted me to put this up for his class mates to see!

4. Rick Krane

Tim is a reflection of our future and of our neighbors. Help each other and make the best of an opportunity like Tim! I didn’t know what I was going to be able to do or what I even thought it would be like so I have to say it was rewarding to me personally and a lot of fun to see some one young find a stride in there own efforts!

God Bless!

My Best!

Rick

5. Trina

Trina Guest

Very cool!!

6. Taxi-lover

Taxi-lover Active Member

I wish to Tim all good and hope he will continue good start with fishtaxidermy!! Great work!

7. coon hunter

coon hunter Truman Waddell 270-589-7828 Brownsville Ky

I have helped a few kids out in my area taking them fishing and hunting and getting there mind's on other things besides mischief.

8. Bill w

Bill w Guest

It just goes to show what a little constructive guidence can do for young minds great job Tim keep up the good work

9. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Great story Rick...we all need to take up as much time with youth as possible. As a previous Scoutmaster, I can assure everyone that there is a real need for good mentors. So many children are from broken homes, and do not have a father figure in their lives. Thanks for sharing that with us.

10. Thanks Rick and Tim for sharing the Great story! Tim that fish looks awesome!!!!! Keep up the great work! Look forward to seeing more fish from you.
    Travis

11. mobowhunter

mobowhunter New Member

Great story, Rick! I applaud you for taking Tim under your wing and showing him direction and accomplishment. Good job on the fish Tim. It looks really good! Congratulations!

12. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Tim, I know how it is fighting people because your young!! Keep it up! Don't let people get you down. If you do good fish, people can't, won't, and shouldn't care about how old you are!! Rick helped me realize that myself. Keep it up! Rick, like I've said before, you are definetly more than I expected!! Amazing.

13. Chad See

Chad See Certified "Fish Head"

Hands down, the best post on Taxidermy.net. Congratulations to Tim, that is a great accomplishment! It's clear to me that you have what it takes to be successful at this. Go get that degree and keep posting fish pics for us!

Also, kudos to you Rick. It is easy to look around and see the world as a hopeless, dark place; however, reading stories like this show that any one of us can be a light. A little guidance goes a long way and I personally applaude you for all you do for everyone who is willing to ask for a little help.

What a great story! Thanks for sharing....

Chad

14. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

Alright Tim! thats a mount to be proud of. keep at it! A Very nice story with a happy ending, or should i say, a new beginning!!! Way to go Rick, and thank you for sharing this with us. Bill

15. Rick Krane

I want to take a momone to thank all for the kind words. Tim is a truly a real good young man and I only hope his experience and ambition continue to take him to a good place in life both in education and in his own personal growth. His Mom is so proud of kindness and the words that she has read describing her son. I have received a few wonderfully thoughtfull emails from some of our good folks here. I want to acknowledge Nate Thompson for a moment. Nate is a good taxidermist and a local and helpful contributor here o the net. Nate is also a Police officer in Utah. Nate reminded me and that with a Little direction and time spent with the youth today some times tragic events such as the sad incident at the Mall may have gone diffrent. When I read this from Nate I had to think it is juts a small effort to help not only Tim but to help each other when we can. Thank you Nate for sobering words and a thoughtful incite.

I will conclude by Tim s words. "This is cool to do taxidermy and it is better then allot of stuff I did before"

Thanks again!

Rick Krane

16. Lou

Lou Modern day Mona Lisa :-)

PA
    Good for you Tim! Many young men strive to find that feeling of a positive accomplishment and never find it, it's addicting once you get it isn't it? It's great to hear of positive experences young folks have.

Marine Biology, how freaking cool is that guy! Protect your dream bro and don't let anyone tell you can't do it. If they do, it only means they can't do it themselves. And most important go it MAN! It's yours for the taking! Now, go open a 55 gallon drum of whooppppp $%# on those school books. ;D

BTW, your luckly to have a mom and friends who care for you so much! Take care of them and you'll get back two fold what you gave out.

Oh and great fish! :)

17. Debbie N

Debbie N New Member

MA.
    Tim your fish came out nice. I'm taking a class in a week with Rick to. I hope to compete to and I hope to do as good.
    Stan

18. Don Houser

Don Houser Don's Taxidermy Studio

Great job Tim & Rick!

I have a 16year old (Caleb) that has been training in my shop for the last 2 years. A coup;e of weeks ago I had a booth at the Bloomsburg Early Bird Expo and I took one of Caleb's mounts to display. It was a grooming buck on a pedestal of driftwood. There were as many complaments on his mount as my own.

I also have an upcoming apprentice. My 6 year old grandson, Zacri. He helps me by stout roughing all my forms as well as helping me in my processing shop. It's great having young people that are willing to learn and interested in the outdoors.

Don

19. coues_deer

coues_deer New Member

USA
    Great job - The 2 best pictures are of you and your dad (i assume) and at the Main Taxidermy Show. Your face says it all! Keep up the good work, you're way ahead of many in this business with your talents.

20. Deerman

Deerman Member

SC
    Great story keep up the good work!