1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Poaching ?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by delta hunter, Jan 29, 2010.

1. I recently had a Mallard brought in to be mounted. It had been killed in the Mississippi Delta. The customer was very proud that they had put the boat in a river and due to high water were able to get in to flooded bean fields on private property. He said that the law in Mississippi allowed them to hunt these fields. The same thing happened to us 3 weeks ago, 2 hunters started shooting 75 yards from where we were set up. They came down the river, up a feeder creek, and into our field. They claimed that the game warden told them they could hunt there. We ran them off. Two days ago they were back, three of them this time. They made the mistake of going on private property to launch their boat. The result, the game warden wrote each one a $500.00 ticket for trespassing. As for the Mallard, I am mounting it, with an extra charge for being an [email protected]@. This is poaching pure and simple. Am I wrong ?

2. If the anchor or the deek weights touch private property ground, they are trespassing. If everything is free floating and the flooded water is directly connected to the state water (not by creek) they are allowed to be on it.

3. RMW

RMW New Member

in SD, on some bodies of water (meandering), you can legally hunt it if you can launch a boat from a public access. But you cant ancher (Boat or decoys) and onyl the dog can retreive unless you get them with the boat. We have a lake that has come up so far that about half the lake is technically private land. but the people can fish and hunt it because there is a public boat ramp on it.

I dont know about other states and their regualtions.

4. I cant handle people tresspassing I would take it as far as i could

5. Water laws vary from state to state, but in most cases if you have access via public land, like a boat ramp, bridge crossing right-of-way, you can go any where on the water surface. So, it doesn't sound to me like these guys were "poaching".

6. Be sneeky, once they come onto the land, run a couple of strands of barbed wire behind them, in plain view so they can see it when they come back. Then just pull up a chair on the bank, shotgun in hand, and say,"trespassers get shot". Hahhahahahhaha. OK, I'm not serious.

7. mark11

mark11 now accepting new wholesale clients

delta hunter i understand your frustration, but it is a fine line and you really need to check your state regulations and if they were in fact trespassing then so be it and pursue it legally, but if they in fact were not trespassing and had legal right to be there, then they have just as much right to be there as you do. i hate it as much as anybody when somebody else is set up where i wanted to be or close to it but that is hunting, and no matter how it plays out it is trespassing and not poaching.

8. It's not that they set up where we wanted to be. It is that we spent several hundred dollars on seeds. Spent several hot July weekends, plowing and planting these fields. Regulated the families hunting as to not over hunt. Then to have these guys show up and claim that they have as much right to hunt it as we do ? Even if you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD. Funny, it seems that the further south you go - the stronger the reaction !

9. Dark Man

Dark Man Active Member

Up here the law says if you can reach a spot thru a navigable waterway (stream,creek) and you keep your feet wet or boat in the water it's not trespassing.What these guys did is kind of a stretch. JERKS!

10. KevinH

KevinH Active Member

shoot-em, maybe they wont do it next time

11. alabamarutandstrut

alabamarutandstrut Hero's are people who help people in need.

set up next to them and shoot the ducks before they do. Just get on both sides of them. HEHE. Just out smart and out shoot them

12. Bama35

Bama35 New Member

I would not call them poachers unless they took game out of season or with out the proper tags ans lic. Trespassing sounds more like it. Out here in Oregon you have access upto the high water mark. Granted we do not have many floods as they do back east so the line is pretty apparent. Sometimes, just because you can, does not mean that you should.

13. mgraff00

mgraff00 New Member

It is bad form. Here in Illinois private land is considered land or water that flows over said land.

14. mgraff and Bama caught my opinion on the matter - might be trespassing, but not necessarily poaching (depends on the laws)- definitely bad form though...

your charging extra for not being of the same mind of the hunter as to the laws - that is up to you, but be sure you allow wiggle room in your contract for the extra fees above your price list... word of mouth might harm potential customer base - - if they were in compliance with the laws for hunting in the area it was acquired, charging extra because you do not agree with it might hurt you in the long run...

15. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

In my opinion if they were not properly licensed, or shot out of season or were over their limit,that would constitute poaching.Otherwise, I would call it tresspassing. :)

16. kar6man

kar6man New Member

Not sure about the laws there but it sounds similar to our laws in CA. I do a lot of hunting out of my boat here in CA we are allowed to hunt anywhere we can get our boat. I've had ranchers here get angry and call fish and game for us trespasing on what they thought was their property but by having our boat there and not being on dry ground we were legal. The place that we hunted the rancher had even built a fence through the water so that you couldn't get into the pond. It was considered part of a navigable waterway so we could not be cited for cutting the fence either.

On the same lake, the north shore is a state park. In CA there is no hunting or possesion of fire arms on a state park. Yet we can still hunt off that shore as long as we are hunting from the boat or our feet are in the water just off the bank of the state park.

17. mark11

mark11 now accepting new wholesale clients

i agree it is bad form and it really sucks when you have invested a lot of time and money to prep an area, it is also bad ethics for someone to do but if they are within what the law allows we just have to bite our tongue and accept it. i have very little private ground to hunt on and have to rely on public and we get set up on all the time, but 9 times out of 10 we get a ton more shooting than the others because we have learned to let the birds tell us how to put out a spread and by learning that there is more to calling ducks than buying a call and blowing into it. we have found that there is nothing that ticks the amateur fair weather guys off more than pulling the birds off there spread and killing them leaving them to go home empty handed. duck hunting is a lot like the taxidermy industry, there will always be some yaywho trying to move in on your teritory, the only way to compete is to do what you have to to stay better at what you are doing than they are. if it happens again simply pick up your spread and move to intersept the birds and ruin their day, in your situation you have both the ethical and legal right to be there, they only have a legal right to a very limited access due to a temporary set of circumstances. cody, sounds like the fence may have been built on dry ground and you gained access due to flooding that raised the waterway, if so, may have been legal for you to do, but definately wasn't the right thing or ethical thing to be done, set up along the fence, it isn't hard to pull birds a short distance from where they want to be and then you don't make ranchers or other landowners angry and prejudiced against all hunters for the sake of harvesting a few birds.

18. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

in Mn. you can go anywhere in "navagible waters" this includes wading as long as you dont come out on shore.......so would not be poaching or tresspassing as others have said..and there is another word for them"slob hunters" those that have no ethics and give other hunters a bad name by thier actions.these are the same a** holes that come out on the lake 10 minutes before shooting time and start to set up 50 yards from you after you have been there 2 hours in the cold getting set-up.....every one on the lake at the time will run these guys out ...or we will push out and anchor our boat right in the middle of his decoys.

19. KAMoHunter

KAMoHunter Proud member of the WVTA

in WV no idividual can claim owner ship to a body of water... say for instance you own both sides(land) of a stream that is big enough to float.... you can't stop anyone from being in there as long as long as they do not touch the stream bed. if they do then its trespassing... however if a body of water rises and they are still not touching the ground with the physical person they are ok. at best it would be trespassing and unethical.. unless they were not liscenced then it poaching.... funniy story.

on the elk river here a private club had signs hung for years stating that this strech of water was private and could not be fished unless by club members(or only a certain group of people) state finally made them remove the signs because it was not legal... case in point that no one owns the water.

20. SteveP

SteveP New Member

Let's face it, there are good and bad on both sides of the sportsman/land-owner issue. And, there are more good than bad. And, we all let the bad ruin it for the good. The sportsmen don't usually police ourselves, and the land-owners tend to use the slob hunters as an excuse to say "no". I am on both sides of that issue. I could go on for days talking about the bad examples on either side, but try to show and tell about the good examples, like sharing the game along with best methods of hunting a particular property. This usually happens only with a hunter, or group of hunters, that have the decency to ask for permission from the respective land-owner.

These relationships vary, depending on the game being hunted, the popularity of that particular game, the attitudes of the persons on each side, the laws and traditions in each area, the amount of public land per hunter density, the size of the hunting party seeking permission, the density of game in the area, the time in which permission is asked relative to the season length, and the accessability of the land-owner to the person(s) seeking permission. I probably have missed somethings here, but you get the idea.

I get a little depressed when I think about, and am face with, the depleting opportunities for DIY hunters on private lands. I only get angry about land-owners when I hear crappy excuses, or when access is dependant on some type of monetary payment. I'd rather hear a simple "no", than to hear that "I pay taxes on that CRP, so that my family and I can hunt it". Like I said, I could go on, and I don't really have to repeat all the bad things that slob hunters tend to commit over and over.