1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Has anyone ever used...

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by crossbuck, Jan 31, 2010.

1. crossbuck

crossbuck New Member

Dry Presevative from Joe Coombs??? Just bought some and it really smells like moth balls. ??? ???

2. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Should keep the bugs away then :D

3. crossbuck

crossbuck New Member

Yeah and me too!!! ;D

4. crossbuck

crossbuck New Member

I would just like to know if it works ok. I've used other brands before, but never from Coombs. I know some of you must have tried it before...

5. I use borax when I dry preserve.

6. Scott Musgrave

Scott Musgrave Little Wildcat Creek Taxidermy, Sharpsville, IN.

Sorry, can't resist, How did you hold that moth, by his back legs? LOL.

7. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I guess if you roll them around in DP you can see them better. :D

8. crossbuck

crossbuck New Member

Thanks guys for all of your knowledgeable advice.....I know someone out there has tried it.

9. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Jeesh, don't get snippy. We're just trying to have a little fun. And it's a free bump ;)

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Many dry preservatives contain naphtha flakes or "moth crystals". It certainly doesn't hurt anything. I've used Bess Maid from Touchstone for nearly 30 years now and I've NEVER had any issues with it. The smell goes away quickly as it oxidizes so the customer won't even notice it.

And using borax instead of dry preservative may work, but it's not NEARLY as effective as quality DP nor as finely ground so that it can cover the surface as well as quality dry preservative.

11. crossbuck

crossbuck New Member

Thanks George. I appreciate the info.