1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by jnc, Jan 31, 2010.

1. jnc

jnc Love, Laugh.......Live!

Got home last week and found a very nice B.cat on my door step..... all tagged but no id whatsoever! LOL, I've called around to my local trappers that I deal with and it's not one of theirs. I've put it in the freezer expecting the owner to give me a call, but so far nothing! I'm not quite sure how to handle this as I'm sure it's NOT supposed to be in my shop without "owner" info. Anybody else run into this?

2. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

Nope, but I guess Christmas came early.LOL

3. crossbuck

crossbuck New Member

I would contact the conservation agent. He should be able to look up who had it tagged by the number.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Set on it.

5. dipper

dipper New Member

If you call the warden, have all your t's crossed, and i's dotted. While he's there, he'll probably want to go over everything you have, and cite you for posessing the cat, without documentation!

6. jnc

Not worried about the t's and i's.... It's been my experience so far that our wardens are good folk and while they do follow the letter of the law, their not "Stupid" about it and know the differance between intentional infractions and circumstances beyond our control. I've one more client to reach, then I'll call it in...

7. cheapguy

cheapguy New Member

Sell it to me. Ill give you $10 for it.

8. dipper

dipper New Member

If "the letter of the law" in Maine, states you can't posses a bobcat, you do not have documentation for, hopeully they'll JUST do a favor for you, and find out who it belongs to. We both know the "the spirit of the law", and what your circumstances are, but if your wardens aren't pink happy; I guess it is your last resort.

Hopefully that cat isn't from a customer, who just can't get in touch with you.....and is an idiot! Obvioslly someone wants you to do something with it, maybe wait for them to contact you??? Evan if the wardens find out who's cat it is, they might take it. At least that's what they would do in my state. Make sure you tell them to keep it frozen, if that does happen. It could get ugly for you if the wardens take your customer's cat, let the thing spoil/slip, and you have to explain to the customer, their trophy cat is ruined.

Sure, the guy should have at least gave his name and number, when he dropped it off. But how many stories do you hear on this site, about customers slamming a taxidermist, even though the customer was at fault. You're not going to be able to control that customer, telling everyone you ruin customer's trophies, and call the wardens any chance you get, on them. We know that's not true, but people will point blame, any chance they can get.

I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud, just thinking of a worst case scenario for you. Maybe just a call to them will solve your problem, that sucks either way you look at it.
    Good Luck

9. jnc

Well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it belongs to one particular client who has been know to just drop his animals off - but he's always left proper name and info .... who knows, maybe it's on some little slip of paper blowing around in the yard! LOL... I'll let ya know how this all wraps up :)

10. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Damn..I can't believe ya'll have to have all that documentation for a bobcat...they are nothing here...the wildlife officials love to see them thinned out, since they have no natural enemies.

11. dipper

dipper New Member

Wisconsin has a special season for bobcat, you have to apply for a license. It takes a good number of years to draw a tag. Currently they can only be hunted in the northern half of the state.

12. jnc

I found him! LOL..... Turns out he'd called me last month and mentioned he might have a few animals he was thinking of dropping off..... course I was supposed to remember him!!! LOL, like he's the only voice on the end of a phone to call me! I did politely request that he leave his name and number next time!