1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Albino button buck mounted in 1969. PHOTO'S ADDED

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Silvereagle34, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Silvereagle34

Silvereagle34 Member

I was given a lifesize albino button buck that was mounted in 1969. The ears are splitting and some of the hide is missing on the legs. Is there anyway to fix this? I hate to throw it away. It has been stored in a barn in Ky. I have it in my garage away from any other mounts. I haven't seen any bugs on it.
    What would be the best way to restore the color to the skin? I am going to try to restore it.

2. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

Re: Albino button buck mounted in 1969.

lets see some pics so we know what you are dealing with.

3. Silvereagle34

Silvereagle34 Member

Harley,
    I will try to make some tonight and figure out how to post them.

4. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

i did a photobucket tutorial in the tutorial section that should help you

5. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

I think it will be dificuly to say the least to match the color, what you can do is find a deer the same size and have it bleached to look like an albino, Just a thought!
    there are a few tanneries that offer a whitening service, I think moyles mink and tannery dose.

6. Silvereagle34

Silvereagle34 Member

Here are some pictures of the damage.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any suggesiton? I would like to keep the vintage look.

7. sawtooth taxi

sawtooth taxi New Member

Sorry if I am not an optimist. To me, that deer is toast. I have some fix jobs and have done a few myself but none that bad. Good luck with it

8. Silvereagle34

Silvereagle34 Member

I would agree with it being toast, but I am still going to tinker with it. That's how you learn.

9. Wow. It's actually kinda scary looking! :eek: And I would definitely not carry that thing in the house. Maybe not even in an attached garage, or anywhere you will later plan on working on other mounts... But good luck, if you plan on tinkering with it anyway. :)

10. lorefuma

lorefuma Member

there are some bug for sure. best thing for me is if you can put in a freezer for some day then put outside the freezer and then refreeze. this can kill any bug. after this brush job for remove the lose hair and the dead bugs, after this you can think about restoration...
    for me is savable, isn't in this horrible condition, the worst ting the eyes placement...

11. Sorry but thats the end of that thing!!

12. It would make a good halloween decoration :)

13. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

I agree with the others on the mount being toast.
    if you really wanted to do some work on it, you might be able to blend Apoxie Sculpt on top of the missing skin spots on the legs, and texture to look like hair, making a convincing transition from Apoxie to hair. Then you could airbrush to color match. That's just an idea though.

14. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

Why don't you use whatever good hide you can find and make a should mount out of it?
    Ralph

15. junk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. csmingler

csmingler New Member

toast

17. striker12

striker12 Member

sorry man dont see how you could repair the thing to the point to make it look like you have done much to it
    if you want to keep the vintage look why not stablize it to keep it from getting any worse . or like rbear said you could do a shoulder mount

18. jorgy

jorgy Member

F.U.B.A.R.

19. bowhuntr

bowhuntr Member

i would take it to stephen king's pet cemetery

20. nofiveo

nofiveo Active Member

Yup, give it a proper burial and put it to rest.