1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What do you do ?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Manny, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Manny

Manny New Member

This is my first maned deer and was wondering what to do with the finished mount.
    I think it might look like I did a bad sew job.
    Should I give it a haircut before or afterwards ?
    I know the customer is un-aware of the mane, so should I leave it untill customer sees it. Then if he dont like it then chop it off ?

Attached Files:

2. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

don't touch it, leave it the way it is.

3. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Leave it alone. Show it to the customer & tell him he has a rare & unique trophy (which is true). He will be thrilled about it.

4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I would card it up with some plastic grid material, and groom it til the hair had set. It will make an awesome mount.

5. Matt

Matt Active Member

Ditto on what Bill said, you should take some pics and let you client know about it. I don't see too many, but when I do I make sure to let my client know about it.

6. I did my first one this year, the customer was thrilled, he has several mounts, but has never seen a main on a deer.
    just keep it brushed up.
    Jim

7. Don't cut it - groom it and leave it. I've mounted 4 maned deer and used three of them in shows - I always get a lot of positive comments on them. If you groom the mane well, it will definitely not look like a bad sewing job.

8. Mason

Mason Active Member

Yepper,

Leave that baby alone!
    I managed to take a buck with a mane 4 or 5 years ago. Was one of our first deer we mounted. Sure wish I could find a nice cape with a mane to remount it with :D

9. Those are cool just leave it

10. crossbuck

crossbuck New Member

I would leave it too. I just mounted one that has one too, but instead of being on the back of the neck it is in the white throat patch.