1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

bear mount help

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Trophy Taxidermy, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Trophy Taxidermy

Trophy Taxidermy New Member

I am getting ready to start my first bear shoulder mount and am looking for a thread that explains the ins and out of how to mount a bear. I have looked at several threads on hear but cant seem to find what i am looking for. Any tips, pics, ect. would be extremely helpful.
    I am planning on self tanning this hide so what is the best way to degrease the thing?

2. SR1

SR1 Divorces cost so much cause they are worth it!!!!!

WNY
    Don't tan it your self send it out to be tanned you will be happy that you did.

3. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

x2. You will never get it anywhere near as clean as a tannery will. Coon and k9s are one thing to tan and degrease yourself but a bear I couldn't even imagine. WCL

4. quest

quest Member

Utah
    I think McKenzie has a very good DVD on mounting a Bear. Bears are definitely greasy animals but I think a Pressure washer would work otherwise send it off. quest

5. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

Trust me when I say this... YES you can tan it yourself.. I have before. BUT ....get ready to work you butt off and have a major back ache and sore arms when your done.. Then you get to mount it..

I use Kemal 4 with coleman fuel. ya its flammable, and yes it stinks.. dont use it without following the directions for safety and for mixing amounts...

Personally Id send that thing out and give the tannery the headache...

6. adkgirl

adkgirl Active Member

Have a question?? Do you guys wipe off your beam while you are fleshing these bears? Goes a long way to make degreasing soooo much easier. AND, I did send a bear to a tannery(no names) when I first got up and running as I didn't have everything I needed (got it wet tanned) and it came back so covered with thick sludgy grease it took me forever to get it all out.

7. quest

quest Member

Utah
    When I did my first Life-size Bear I flesh it by hand and it was a mess. Now I have pressure washer and I wouldn't hesitate to use it on a greasy Bear. quest

8. livingtrophytaxidermy

livingtrophytaxidermy New Member

if its a lifesize then ya it will be kinda more work.but you will save money tanning it yourself.just get all the fat off and when you shave it the hair roots are deep.take a couple of tests cuts to see how thin you can go.a bear can be really easy to shave be cause the hair roots are easier to go by than a deer.you can degrease with kerosene if you want.i personally put it in some dawn salty water.then put in a fresh pickle after you degrease after it has already been pickled.put some dawn in your rehydration.

9. Trophy Taxidermy

Trophy Taxidermy New Member

if a do choose to tan myself, do i degrease before or after the tan

10. nitt

nitt Member

before the tan

11. save yourself a BIG headache, send it in. Much better result.
    Jim

12. Scrubby

Scrubby New Member

I wouldn't be afraid of tanning a shoulder mount degrease then tan. Use a Mckenzie degreaser no problem now a lifesize or half send it out.