1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

lure for a mount

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by gus, Feb 3, 2010.

  1. gus

    gus New Member

    77
    0
    Does anyboby know of a way to give the rubber skirt of a spinner bait some action,
    something other than just dangling downward.
    Thanks
     
  2. akairman

    akairman New Member

    i've thought about using some five minute epoxy on a rubber worm, or on a fly to give it a wet look, and hold it in a certain shape. i havn't tried it yet, but its an idea
     

  3. gus

    gus New Member

    77
    0
    plastic worms seem to melt and discolor just about everything... well, maybe just my tackle box.

    This spinner bait will come in contact with the mount, I'm not sure if the rubber will have
    the same affect as plastic worms even with an epoxy coating.
     
  4. naturalcreati40

    naturalcreati40 Active Member

    1,041
    0
    I've used epoxy on spinnerbaits and its worked great. Coat the skirt with epoxy, the strands will stick together so take a safety pin and spread the strands out. You have to suspend it somehow so the skirt hangs down. Then I used thin diameter wire and twisted it around where the blades connect and epoxy the wire to the underside of the blade in a position that looks like they're spinning. Worked out really well. To attach it, before I epoxied the skirt I epoxied a thicker diameter wire along the hook, painted the wire the same color as the skirt so it blends in. And used the trailing end to attack to the fish. This worked out very well. Hope this helps. I've tried it on plastics before but this didn't work out too well.
     
  5. gus

    gus New Member

    77
    0
    Thanks guys for the great advise!
    I can wait to try this.
    I'll post pics of the final result.
     
  6. gus

    gus New Member

    77
    0
    Re: lure for a mount update

    trial and error at it best. This spinner bait is to be mouthed by a bass, once the fish dry
    I placed a plastic bag in the mouth of the bass then coated the lure with epoxy and
    posisitioned the skirt while in the mouth of the fish. At this point I started thinking
    I should have put some type of release on the plastic bag, luckly it was a clear bag.
    Any way here is the not yet compleated lure. I still need to trim some more of the
    bag, the plus side of this is that the plastic gave it a little bit more strengh.

    [​IMG]