1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Molding and casting a deer mouth (lower jaw)

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Ted B, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

First, let me start by saying I'm no molding or casting expert, I'm just taking what I've gleamed from working with Ken Walker and tinkering to get the end result I'm looking for. There's a myriad of ways to cast mouth parts but this will cover using a silicone mold (Mold All from WESCO) and casting with Fantastic Cast.

Here's what you'll need.

1. Mold All ( I buy the 10lb kits so i know i have enough, and enough FAST catalyst to over catalyze the mold all, I'll explain why FAST catalyst in a few lines.)

2. Mixing bowls and stir sticks
    3. High speed drill and mixer
    4. Clay or high fibre bedding material
    5. Bondo
    6. Fantastic Cast (or suitable rigid casting plastic)
    7. Vacuum chamber (not necessary but I wish I would have had one)

Since I can only post 192K of pics per entry this will be broken up a bit so stick with me.

pic #1: shows what we're working with (in this case its the lower jaw off a Mule Deer buck I took in for a european mount).
    The first thing we need to do is get the piece thoroughly cleaned with soap and water to rinse off any blood, dirt or food that may be in there. Some people actually shave the hair from the lip lline at this point so it doesn't come out in the mold, I'm not worried about this since when I clean the mold out the hair comes out with the first casting anyway.

pic #2: After washing we're going to set this aside in a freezer to let it stiffen up some so we can shape the lips to the exact position we want. Check on it periodically and adjust the lips as needed.

Attached Files:

2. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

pic #3: Once you're satisfied with how the piece is shaped you can put it back to freeze completely (at least an hour or so). Once competely frozen, remove it and build your clay dam (if you don't like clay you can use high fibre or some other bedding material). I just prefer clay.

pic #4: Here I've completely covered the entire piece in Mold all and am ready to place it back in the freezer to kick. This is why we use the FAST catalyst and over catalyse the mold all, it usually takes approx 24 hrs to kick completely in the freezer. For those who wonder why I do it this way I want to be sure that the subject doesn't move while the mold cures, especially if the molding product you use produced heat.

Attached Files:

3. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

pic #5: its been about 24 hours since I placed this piece in the freezer, and the mold all is fully cured. BEFORE I ever de-mold this I want to have a solid base for this mold to sit on (as the mold is flexible). I clean away the clay dam and COMPLETELY cover the entire bottom of the mold in bondo, making sure it wraps around the sides of the mold.

pic #6: The jaw has been removed from the mold and we're ready to clean the mold of any hair or debris that may have fallen in.

Attached Files:

4. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

pic #7: here we have filled the mold with our casting material to clean out the mold (it looks dark because my old Cast All was going bad and I figured I would get rid of it this way).

pic #8: here we have the finished (but unpainted) product, its not bad but needs a few things looked after. There are some air bubbles that need to be taken care of and have some areas built up. Not bad for a first try though. When I have everything fixed it will get re-casted using the original teeth from this deer.

Attached Files:

5. Thanks for sharing your knowledge Ted. stargazer.

6. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

Thanks Ted

7. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch I hunt therefore I am.

Great Job Ted! I realy like the idea of using the original teeth too.

How are you going to do the upper jaw? the same way?

8. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

Not only do I plan on using the real teeth, but the front teeth won't be installed until all the finish work is done ;) The upper jaw will be trickier depending on just how far back I want to cast the papillae. When i get around to it I'll post pics.

9. DeeCee

DeeCee New Member

Thats cool! Thanks for the tips! Can't wait to see the rest of it!