1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Canvasback eye color.

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by mkinna1, Feb 4, 2010.

1. mkinna1

mkinna1 New Member

Every Can we killed this year had yellow eyes here in south GA. Has anyone else ever experienced that?? Every picture I have ever seen of them, they have red eyes. ???

2. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

Sure their not redheads?

3. AOTaxi

AOTaxi She's a keeper!

X2
    Cans have red eyes, not yeller

4. mark11

mark11 now accepting new wholesale clients

what color are the bills? cans have a black bill and redheads have a blue bill with a white ring and a black tip

5. mkinna1

mkinna1 New Member

[​IMG]all these on the right are cans and had yellow eyes

6. mark11

if the eye color of the freshly killed birds was yellow it is not common, if you were looking at the eys after they had been dead for a while it is probably the loss of color that has given them the yellow appearance you are seeing either way if you didn't take pictures of the fresh yellow eyes i wouldn't mount them with yellow eyes

7. Brian

Brian Active Member

i have seen yellow in the eye itself like a spring woody but never all yellow.

8. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

X2

9. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

Yep definately cans did you take any pictures that show the eyes.

10. mkinna1

mkinna1 New Member

[​IMG]They were all very much yellow from fresh dead to skinning them out now. Weird that no one else has seen that.

11. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

that is unusual.

12. AOTaxi

AOTaxi She's a keeper!

And a few big bull cans to boot...... nice bag o' ducks!!

13. Ken F.

Ken F. Member

I have killed a few cans in south GA. on lake Blackshear that had a yellow tint in there eyes, I have also shot a lot of woodies with the same eye color, I just thought it was a young bird

14. mark11

can't see it really well but it appears the eye is red with a yellow ring around the pupil, if so this isn't so uncommon, cans do not have just a simple one color eye as is pprtrayed in all eye color charts but have a blended color eyevery similar to the eye color of the redbreasted merganser reference i posted in the reference section but a little brighter yellow than the merganser

15. mkinna1

mkinna1 New Member

Hey Ken is the duck hunting at lake blackshear any good?

16. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

The one nice adult drake Can I shot this year had a very similar look. It surprised me to see how yellow to orange the eyes were when I picked him up fresh off the water. They were certainly not the typical red Canvasback colored eyes. I will mount him with typical red eyes though. I personally thought it was strange and wasn't a huge fan of the appearance ;D.

17. Hoss0902

Hoss0902 I drink to make other people seem more interesting

X2 Pat

I rather go for whats normal.
    Red eye.

here is a few reference pics, You don't see many walking diving ducks, but there is a few. these bird are 5 years old.
    hope it helps,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Diving ducks walk a little weired, kinda pigeon toed....:D

18. SteveP

SteveP New Member

Cool pictures David. Thanks.

19. Ken F.

Ken F. Member

Great ref. pic.s, the hunting here has gone down hill in the past 4 years, I used to kill a mess off divers about every time I went out but now it is 1 or 2 here or there, but this year I shot some birds that I never shot before, like a snow goose, never seen one here

20. robolson

robolson www.frozeninflight.com

Those pics are awesome Hoss!! Very valuable!! Thank you so much for posting them!!!