1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Breeding Male Bluegill (mostly black) paint schedule

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by jerogers, Feb 8, 2010.

1. jerogers

jerogers Member

I have two male bluegill to paint and I do not have a paint schedule that is even close. I have about 7 different paint schedules, but non are for a mostly black male. I do not have the experience to fully interpret the color layers that are needed, or the order in which they should be applied, to bring depth to the paint job. When I received the fish they had been frozen for about two years and there was not a lot of color except black. I did find a small reference picture of a bluegill that is mostly black, with some violet on the side. Beyond that, it is hard to tell what the underlying colors should be to bring this fish to life. Does anyone have a paint schedule that they would share, or sell, that would help me paint these fish? Thank you

2. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

You can find (if you dont already have) schedules from WASCO, Lone Star Taxidermy, Breakthrough's painting schedule manual, etc. but I dont think you'll find one for as dark of a paint job as you described. More than likely you can use the schedule's you do find or have as a start. Get as many reference pictures as you can and match your paint. Eventually, you wont need to use a schedule.
    Underlying colors on some of the real dark bluegills I've seen arent as critical due to the fact a dark pigment paint covers almost too well. Conversely, a layered effect can be achieved on a lighter bluegill, for example, transparent green over a base of silver or white pearl. Good luck.

3. curtisholson

curtisholson New Member

4. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

New Wave might have what you are looking for.

5. NOAH@aarrkk

[email protected] Active Member

GA
    WASCO has a video with Jimmy Byrd mounting and painting what I would call a 'black' bluegill. That might work for you.

6. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

I've caught several like what you described, I'd like to see a schedule too