1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lifesize forms without hides pics

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by [email protected], Feb 13, 2010.

1. Daniel, thats one hell of a pile of foam laying there.

2. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

very, very nice job on the horse form

3. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    The Horse mannikin looks very cool under tack! At 17hh ... that was one big gentleman! Nice job.

I did a search on the Racehorse "River Verdon" and was able to find a couple of pictures of the mount. Well done. ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Racing legend River Verdon returns to Sha Tin!

2 December 2006

To celebrate the 20th anniversary of the now world famous Hong Kong International Races, a true-to-life replica of River Verdon - one of the all-time legends that ruled the Hong Kong turf - has been unveiled at Sha Tin today.

In December 1991, River Verdon defeated opponents from four continents to lift the Hong Kong Invitation Cup. The following year he took part in the prestigious Arlington Million to become the first Hong Kong-trained runner to take part in an overseas Group 1 race.
    [​IMG]

River Verdon was retired in March 1996. During a stellar seven-year contribution to Hong Kong racing, he was crowned Horse of the Year three times and remains the one and only Triple Crown winner. He spent a happy retirement in Australia and died in June last year.

His owner, The Hon Ronald Arculli, then agreed that Hong Kong's racing legend should be preserved for racing fans in Hong Kong to remember. A world-famous taxidermist was commissioned to skin the horse, tan the hide and preserve the skeleton of River Verdon. A process was then begun to sculpt the anatomy of him and construct a fibreglass body on top. The tanned skin was then mounted over the body of the completed specimen before the champion racehorse was brought back to Hong Kong. The work is now on display at Sha Tin Racecourse.

At today's unveiling ceremony, the Hon Ronald Arculli said: "It is incredible to see Verdon back again at the Sha Tin Racecourse. I have raced many good horses but Verdon stands out not only because he was the Triple Crown Champion, which in itself was a spectacular achievement, but because I was also his breeder, owning his sire BE MY NATIVE and his dam TUYENU, I feel like he was my own family."

Mr Winfried Engelbrecht-Bresges, Executive Director, Racing of the Hong Kong Jockey Club, was also the officiating guest. He added, "River Verdon will always be remembered as one of the greatest horses in the Hong Kong racing history. He was crowned the Triple Crown Champion in the 1993/94 season. His amazing achievement remains unmatched to this day. His contribution to our International Races was also very important as he kept the Hong Kong Invitation Cup at home at a time when overseas horses were on top at Sha Tin and he was the first to travel overseas to take up further challenges."

The River Verdon exhibition will be showcased at Members' Enclosure, Sha Tin Racecourse, from December 2 to December 26 as part of the Cathay Pacific Hong Kong International Races 2006 attractions.

*River Verdon won the Horse of the Year title in 90/91, 91/92 and 93/94

http://racingmemories.hk/hottopics/river-verdon-bg302/

4. Museum Man

nice presentation for the finished product

5. bowerbird

bowerbird New Member

Thanks John, i never knew this much publicity was out there , it was somewhat a pity that so much of the detail was lost under the thick hairy winter coat , unshaved and in full winter coat,,it was like those detailed bear forms you see, then you throw a winter skin over the top,,,still i know i did my duty to sculpt a detailed form,
    thanks again
    Gary

6. LordRusty

Ohio
    It is a very well done mount, Gary. It's not just a winter coat, as much as it is also the coat maintained by many a Horse that stays out in the field most of the year. It's just a natural coat. I was amazed to learn he died at only 10 years of age! But I know ... bad things can happen to them and take them long before their time! :( You are correct though ... that this coat of hair does little for any detail that is sculpted into the mannikin.

Now at age 22, Gilder - my wife's Horse - sports a nice short coat. But during the winter, he is mostly kept indoors, and blanketed.

This is Gilder from March of last year. He still pretty much looks the same. As soon as the weather warms up some more, then I can give him a bath and take this years photos.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Gilder may have similar markings to River Verdon, but he is only 15.2hh ... quite a bit shorter! :)

7. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

Awesome stuff!
    Here's a few....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. ShastaDonegan

ShastaDonegan Lets start with ridiculous and move backwards.

Love it Justin...great job!

9. Museum Man

they both came out great justin..

10. Wow nice job, lots of work in those

11. Riverland

Riverland New Member

Very nice outback rats. Very cool.

12. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

Thanks. They're a pain in the ass. LOL.

13. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Making things look alive is a tough job! They have real cute facial expressions.

14. LordRusty

Ohio
    Very nice pair of Wallaby, Justin. Especially nice save on that one face! Well done! ;)

15. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

Just a little one I'm working on. More pics in a few days....

[​IMG]

16. Aizui

Aizui Taxidermist

USA
    what kind of clay do you guys used (on the forms)

17. Just read through 39 pages of AWESOME!!!!!!

Makes me really ashamed to be just a deer guy, Ill be hunting for some LS capes soon, thanks for the inspiration everyone.

Also awesome to see Travis and Daniel putting out new life into the sculpture and taxidermy world. New blood means only good things.

18. I used the top left form (RM149) from McKenzie,I had to shorten the form by 7 in. the circumference by 13 in. and change each leg and arm by 6 in. plus the bends in each. This was a nightmare since it was ordered to fit the skin without all that cutting. But it did come out better than I though it would, the mount is still drying and no finish work has been done yet. A very old timer (since I am 67 years old) told me many years ago, " you don't mount a Bear, you build a Bear" how right he was. :eek: :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. I don't do very much lifesize, but when I do, I find myself putting a lot of small pieces back together from a pile on my shop floor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Zerrinah

Zerrinah New Member

love these all!