1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lifesize forms without hides pics

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by [email protected], Feb 13, 2010.

1. Jims Wildlife Studio

Jims Wildlife Studio Full Time PA Taxidermist

Black Wildebeest

Attached Files:

2. kickstart59

kickstart59 Member

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

Polar Bar! 8)

Attached Files:

4. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

Leopard

Attached Files:

5. That's a pretty major alteration, nice

6. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

My first beaver...

I ordered the form according to measurements of the carcass, and like many times it won't fit like it's supposed to :/

Never fear! That's what Sawzalls are for!

Sliced this form into 4 lengthwise and removed a half inch vertically and horizontally

Once I got that done I hollowed out the rump to fill with concrete to weigh it down so it won't tip over as my client wants it to be free standing next to his fireplace.

I then trenched the center lengthwise and drilled a pour hole to refoam the whole thing together once it's screwed in place.

Excess foam was cleaned off and clay work was done. Legs were also thinned down to fit in the skin.

Mount is ready to dry and will be completed in a few weeks once it's all set up.

Enjoy the pics!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

You did a great job on keeping the proportions accurate. Still looks like a beaver.

9. TheBigGuy1976

TheBigGuy1976 New Member

marking

10. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Here's a cat/duck mount I did for the Louisiana Show.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Sweet,
    what did you use for the water

12. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Thanks. The regular Artificial Water from the suppliers. On the last couple of brush coats I added some SoStrong green tint from Reynolds.

13. I am thankful for all the help and advise I have gotten here and at my state association. I think my taxidermy work has come a long way! This bear was my entry at my first show this spring here in Michigan. The manikin was created by making a wire skeleton with a change out head that was then packed with spare foam pieces and covered in 2 part urethane. This was then carved down and refined to shape. I know this might not be the "right way" but it made sense to me. The tree was made using a similar process but is hollow.

Attached Files:

14. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

Looks like " ANOTHER right way " to me. If it works for you ,makes sense and creates a good quality finished product , it certainly isn't wrong in my opinion. Very cool piece!

15. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

X2 Very nice mount.

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

Beautiful bear and an exercise in common sense. Love it!

17. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

I think you did a fantastic job on it

18. Thank you! Now I have to figure out what to do with the one my father just came home with from Manitoba last week...a little darker and 40 lbs heavier. Hope to do a sculpted and cast manikin this time.