1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

starlings

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by tyler-woody, Feb 13, 2010.

1. tyler-woody

tyler-woody Member

Does anyone know if it is legal to kill and mount starling in ILL.

2. smalliestalker

smalliestalker and a river runs through it.

This is from a Federal FAQ ...

"Protected nongame birds such as songbirds, hawks, and owls can be legally brought to a taxidermist by game wardens, Federal agents, or holders of appropriate State and Federal permits. Once mounted, these birds can be legally possessed only by public scientific and educational institutions or individuals or facilities that have a valid Special Purpose Possession Dead permit. Personal possession of nongame birds is prohibited. English sparrows, common starlings, and feral pigeons (rock doves) are not native to the United States and are not protected by Federal law. (See 50 CFR 21.11)"

Hope this helps.

michael

3. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Starlings can be killed by the thousands, mounted by the hundreds or eaten by one. ::) :D I don't believe any state has a regulation on starlings. ;)

4. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I wasn't going to comment since I don't know anything about Illinois law in particular. Federally, starlings are totally legal, but states might have a few extra rules.
    For example, here in Washington we are technically not supposed to keep them in captivity - even if they are hand-raised, completely tame, and talking their heads off like miniature myna birds - but we can kill unlimited numbers of them at any time. (Yeah ... this is the same state that protects Sasquatch and unicorns "just in case.")
    I have been told that the game wardens usually just roll their eyes and ignore anything involving starlings, but still -- the law exists, and they COULD enforce it if they wanted to.

It would be best to check with your state to make absolutely sure, but it is probably okay to kill them to mount.

They are supposed to be very tasty if breasted out, covered with a bacon strip, and broiled on toast. I've never tried, it but the recipe was serious! They are eaten bones and all, like sardines.
    Maybe someday .... or not.

5. smalliestalker

smalliestalker and a river runs through it.

ILLINOIS TAXIDERMY LAWS HANDBOOK

APPENDIX A ILLINOIS PROTECTED SPECIES
    as designated in Section 2.2 of the Wildlife Code BIRDS
    All birds, both game and non-game (except the House Sparrow, Passer domesticus; European Starling, Sturnus vulgaris; and Rock Dove or Domestic Pigeon, Columbia livia).

http://www.dnr.state.il.us/law3/taxidermy%20Handbook%20update%202007%20final.pdf

6. Perry knows I will gladly buy starlings! lol! They are worse than rats around here, but I'm gettin mighty good at mountin them up!
    -Bonnie

7. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

LOL! I was wondering if you ever got all those starlings mounted up? I was looking at a small group of them in the yard just today, but didn't take any action. lazy I guess. ::) :D