1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bobcat Wiskers

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by J Douglas, Feb 14, 2010.

1. J Douglas

J Douglas New Member

Mounting my first Bobcat. Was told the best way to mount the wiskers is to remove them, then re-insert them. Or flesh around each wisker bud and mount in soft clay. Give me your opinions and ideas. A tutorial would be great.

2. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

It can be done that way, but I put a thin layer of clay on the form where the whiskers lay and after it has been mounted I grab them and pull away from the form, pull forward and press the whisker bulbs into the clay to seat them into position.

3. On day two inject caulk under the whiskers and place them. you may have to adjust them for a day or two more.

4. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

If you remove the whiskers I believe you can thin down the area better when your fleshing it out, and also groom the face better with the whiskers out of the way. Most folks align the whiskers on tape and put them back later. I prefer to put them in clay the same way they came off the face. After the bobcat is mounted and dry, just use a large size pin to make a hole, then with a dab of super glue (gel) on the root insert in the hole, keeping in mind how they came off the cat. The photo is of some whiskers that were removed and set in clay the way they were removed from the cat.

[​IMG]

5. dipper

dipper New Member

That's an impressive and tedious system you have Wayne. I'm sure with great results.

6. J Douglas

J Douglas New Member

Thanks all of you here goes more questions.
    Bob, do you use a specific type of clay?
    John, What size needle do I need to inject what type of caulk? Do I leave the area to be injected free of hide paste or will it matter?
    And Wayne do I put clay under the whiskers or are the whiskers to inserted into the manikin? Would think there will be a slight void under whiskers?

7. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I use good ol Critter clay.

8. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

When you don't remove the whiskers, you have to take in account of the length of the root under the skin. That's why people remove foam from the manikin, and add something like clay to give an area for the whiskers to go. If you don't, the whiskers will lay flat and not go where they should. If you pull them and put a hole through the hide into the manikin with a heavy pin, you are creating a place for the whisker to go so that it will stand up in the position that you are looking for. So to answer your question "no" clay is needed when you pull the whiskers. There shouldn't be any voids created by doing this, between the super glue gel on the whisker roots, and hide already secure from using hide paste.

9. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I hit the whisker root area with my heavy duty bird flesher with a heavy wire wheel. It loosens everything up and fleshes the area pretty good and exposes the roots. I do the same with fox and yotes.
    I'm not saying my way is better, but it's how I do mine. ;)
    Waynes way works great I'm sure. Many others do the same.

10. J Douglas

J Douglas New Member

Thanks so much for your help. I think it is really cool that you all want to help.

In His Grip,
    J. Douglas
    Ps. 46:10