1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

? With antler set

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by JSeiler, Feb 14, 2010.

1. I am thinking that I need to shorten the sull cap in front of the burs and move the entire rack forward. Basically I am thinking the length between the eye orbet and antler bur is to great of a distance?

[​IMG]

to this?

[​IMG]

2. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Looks better in your edited photo but also the rack needs a wedge inder it to bring it a little forward.

3. two finger rule is what I was always taught, good luck with it.

Kyle may be right, check the burr, normally there is a flat spot on the bottom of a deer's burr that should be parallel with the ground for any normal pose. The Key word Is "normally" in my experience its 50% of the time that, that works out.

4. What exactly do you mean by the 2 finger rule Rudy?

5. It should be somewhere around two fingers from the back corner of the eye to the antler burr,

thats the way I was taught, the main thing though is get it in the general are and then pull cape on and start trying to throw the skin into place, if you have problems with the eye skin not getting far enough forward then your antler burr needs to come forward, the same with ear butts, if they are two far back or down your antler burr wont have enough skin up to it, and your eye will be low and back,

Thats what the test fit is all about, its like a triangle and if one is off it will show it by affecting the other two.

6. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

I trick i learned was to cut the skull off with about 1/3 of the eye socket still there and cut down to where the brain meets the nasal opening or whatever it is where the medula meets the sinases. This way that arch is still in there and minimizes shrinkning of the skull cap and then when you go to mount just measure the distance between the eye socket edge and the burr edge. Then subtract the distance on the form from the back edge of forms eye socket to where back of the form ends for the skull. Do this on each side mark on the skull then cut once. Then all you have to do is play with your pitch. I measure each deer from each beam tip to the center of the nose before i cape them out and record that on my order slip. Then your good to go. If that makes sense.

7. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

I haven't mounted a ton of deer but from what I see on average the eye socket edge to the burr edge is about 1 1/4" to 1 5/8" with most being around 1 3/8" to 1 1/2". On replacement capes I always write those measurements down so I know what the cape is so i can fit the rack to it right and dont have to worry about tight eyes.

8. Makes perfect sense Kyle as I usely take a measurement from the back corner of the eye to the burr and take measurments from the tips to the nose. I purchased this rack and they were already cut from the skull causing me to play with them a little more, but it is just a little speed bump that I will eventually overcome :)

9. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Yeah i hate it when they are already cut. Just pay attention to your back of your skull. it looked like it was pointed down to me thats why I thought it needed to be bumped up a little so it pointed more towards the back fo the form taking on deers skull shape a bit more.

10. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

take your cape out, lay it flat in your hand, with the eye up. Measure from the back corner of the eye to the spot under the burr where the two hair patterns meet. Subtract 1/4". That is what you need to set your antlers at. Here, this will help. Go to the 5 min. mark in the video, that is what I am saying. http://www.helpinghandhangers.com/videos.php#mount1

11. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Oh the old Two finger rule,, was that two big fat fingers, or lady fingers Rudy? Always measure as Brian mentioned. If you do not measure, you are guessing.

12. 4:48 in video it starts

13. LMAO I just got done reading this same quote form you T in an older thread lol.

14. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

I am sure, I will use it again, when that stupid two finger rule thingy comes up again.

15. Well Its the fall back rule Mr T, never said I rely on it only,

We measure corner of nose pad to tip of antler and burr, on both sides, but for the most part my two fingers works about the same too.

;D

16. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Judging by the skull cap i would say it needs to be tipped forward some, I always cut my horns off leaving a quarter inch or so of the back part of the skull, Alot of todays forms are made for that type of cut, The straight edge rule is what i learned early on , But it's just a general rule, The skull cap never lie's

18. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

I don't think it needs tip forword at all,you got it right, now test fit it and you will know more.........

19. #1 headhunter

#1 headhunter New Member

I dont think they need to be tipped forward at all. lots of people tip them too much and it looks horrible. look at reference pics.

20. dipper

dipper New Member

The bases look like they are too far back. I could be off, because I am not as experienced, as most. Look how much further back your burrs are, when you imagine a line straight down from the front of them, and compare the distance to the eye. When I look at my reference, there isn't as much space, as you have. Looking at your pictures, I see the same thing. Like I said, I could be off.