1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

torn or cut ears

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by tbeam, Feb 15, 2010.

1. tbeam

tbeam New Member

I have 2 doe capes that both of them have cuts in the ears from about the center on out..( I am thinking from tags..) do any of you guys have any ideas for a good repair... Thanks

2. You can sew them fine needle and thread. then back them with a thin piece of leather, this will allow bondo resin or earliner.

3. J Douglas

J Douglas New Member

There is a great tutorial on replacing ears.

4. tbeam

tbeam New Member

Hey Thanks for the info.. I really didn't want to have to change out the ears cause of the color of the ears.. it would be real hard to match it up on these two capes..I think that I will try to repair them and see how the look... Thanks again..

5. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Use a well fitting earliner & a good glue & just bring the edges together & let the adhesive hold it.

6. tbeam

tbeam New Member

Hog heaven..I thought of that but wasnt sure if it would pull away..was thinking of stapling it to the liner till it is fully dryed..

7. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

Bill's method will work fine for what you need to do, just keep an eye on it as it dries and you won't need to staple it.
    I just typed in ( "ear repair" ) in the search box and 17 other posts about ear repair came up.
    Here are a couple.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,145316.0.html

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,38910.0.html

8. TIM DUNCAN

TIM DUNCAN surry county va

same suggestion here makes it easy

9. dipper

dipper New Member

Don't replace the ear just because it was cut or torn. You'd be making more work for yourself, than a simple repair.

10. tbeam

tbeam New Member

dipper thanks...you and me are on the same page...The last thing I wanted to do was change out the ears..I had searched the archives and found alot of repairs that turned out to look good. Just didnt know if anyone had a better repair that I havent seen yet...Thanks to all...

11. Nate G.

Nate G. New Member

Sew them with dental floss. Or use dryer sheets and zap a gap. You can buy a dryer sheet material on a roll from most sewing supply sections.

12. dipper

dipper New Member

Just use old dryer sheets.