1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mt. Lions

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Bullfrog, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Bullfrog

Bullfrog New Member

Looking for idea's for two Mt. Lions mounted together. Anybody have any idea's or pictures.

Thanks, Jeremiah Horst

2. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

Look for pics of live animals in real situations and recreate one that appeals to you.

3. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Good advice from Brian!

Here's the thing ... Cougar are solitary mammals that come together to mate and that's it. They don't play and make friends ... kinda like me.

The only time you will catch them together is when they are cubs in a litter:
    [​IMG]
    Or when mama is taking care of them:
    [​IMG]

The only other occasion Cougars are found together is in a Zoo situation. Even here, it is an unnatural event!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

John.

4. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

listen to the CAT man John ,,what about this two coming together over a kill ,one really snarling the other aproaching head down circling ,waiting for the right oppurtunity ,it could be just a hind leg of an elk covered up with some pine needles or brush

5. LordRusty

Ohio
    Now that's something I can visualize! Hmmm ... give me a few hours, I'll get something drawn up! ;)

John.

6. Bullfrog

Bullfrog New Member

that sound's awesome i have a bigger male and a female to do.. I appreciate all the help, hope john can draw something up but it surly got my wheels a spinnen... thanks again

7. dipper

dipper New Member

A male and a female......what else could they do????

8. LordRusty

Ohio
    Mountain Lions - Mount Ideas

Okay ... here is the drawing I promised:
    [​IMG]

And here is a little something I cooked up in my Microsoft Image Composer program:
    [​IMG]

Of course there is the famous pair of Mountain Lion in the American Museum of Natural History, NYC:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps some. And if I can be of any further help, please don't hesitate to call on me ... that's what I'm here for! ;)

Good luck and enjoy!

John.

9. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

Nice drawing John
    Ralph

10. dipper

dipper New Member

Looks like you have your display, nice drawing.

11. Bullfrog

Bullfrog New Member

Thanks alot, John I really appreciate all the drawing's and pictures. Hope to put them to good use and make a master piece.

12. Matt

Matt Active Member

That was great what you did John, now Deadhead, do your homework and post some pics when you get your piece together.

13. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

I pictured the same thing when i read it. The one on the carcus snarling head down trying to scare the other off. The other circling with head turned giving the a snarl as well thinking about charging. Should look sweet. The smaller one should be on the carcus trying tis best to look big and tough and hold its ground.

14. catman

catman Active Member

Splain what's happening here.

Attached Files:

15. catman

catman Active Member

Cougars are more social than some people may think. Even anti social behavior has male lions going out of their way to fight. This is often fatal to one of the combatants.

16. bowkill

bowkill New Member

Catman thats called one hell of a day behind the dogs and thank god they didn't get smart realize they weren't so outnumbered and turn to fight!

17. RICKP

RICKP Let'er Buck

Here is a sight next to the river I raft in the summer..
    [​IMG]

18. *thats cool

19. LordRusty

Ohio
    Personally, these look like littermates! They look like juveniles, or late juveniles to me ... even from such a small image. They are more solitary in their nature than African Lion - the most social of all the cats - except when in a family group - as with Cheetah, Leopard, and Tiger. 'Splained? ;) ;D

John.

20. LordRusty

Ohio
    Cool shot! If you look closely, you can see that one of those cats is larger in length and mass than the others. Oh! It sounds like Sesame Street! "♫ One of these cats is not like the other ... ♫"

Again, I would say this is a female walking with her litter of older offspring. I'd say the big one in the middle with its head up is Mama. Rarely seen, but not unheard of! I know Marty Stoufer had something like this on one of his "Wild America" programs back in the day. And as soon as Mama comes into heat and a male starts sniffing around, her kids will finally leave home, either on their own, or by force.

Here is an example of a known solitary hunter in a group of five ... family members! Mama is the second from the right, and fourth in from the left.
    [​IMG]

All interesting photos!

John.