1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fleshing a duck without a flesher?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by travis madden, Feb 15, 2010.

1. travis madden

travis madden New Member

What is the best way to flesh a duck if I dont have a fleshing wheel?

2. Matt

Matt Active Member

I would highly recommend getting one if you can before you start your project. It will do the best job for you. If you can't, some use a good pair of scissors and a wire brush.

3. KAMoHunter

KAMoHunter Proud member of the WVTA

yeah gotta agree with matt. get the fleshing wheel if you can. he's right about the scissors and brush though. last option for me

4. If you don't have a flesher, go to the hardware store and buy a soft wire weel for a drill. You can then clamp you dill in a bech vice and tape the trigger down and you have a feshing wheel for the time being. Not the best way, but works in a pinch. I know one guy that would even tape a dill to a counter top. I reccomend puting a cardboard box around it though, because the grease and fat comes flying off and all over. Good luck

5. krollh

krollh Active Member

I have a drill that the trigger locks and have done as cast n blast said on a dozen ducks. A piece of cardboard behind it and it works fine.
    Make sure you get a soft wire wheel. Many of what's in the hardware stores are too stiff.

6. schenk

schenk Member

Scissors, scalpel, small wire brush, but don't use the brush until you have as much fat off as you can get. I'm doing it this way, and can flesh them out clean with scissors the best. I have a flesher on the way. It's not that bad really, unless your always in a hurry.

7. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

what matt said I used the old scrape and borax scrape somemore method for years ,but honestly you can damage a skin just as bad and not get them as clean

8. I just did my first duck a few weeks ago and didn't have a fleshing wheel so I simply used a copper bristled brush that was about the same size as a toothbrush. I softened the bristled as best I could on a 2x4 first then just started brushing on the fat. Then used Nancy C's tutorial for degreasing with Dawn dishsoap. Worked reasonably well but there was still some grease in there I think but for a first-time attempt I think it gets the job done.

9. OutbackJack

OutbackJack Member

PA
    Totally agree with Matt. Eventually save $ for a wheel, but until then you a good pair of scissors and a wire brush. One tip that do is this, once you have the duck skinned- make some small slices in the fat between the quills to open up the quills. The more your quills are opened the better over all appearance will be. If you don't the feathers won't lay as nice

10. I am not a bird man, but must tell you how one of my taxi friends fleshes all of his birds. He uses a teaspoon and gently scrapes the skin. I tried it and cannot get the complete hang of it. I scrape holes if I apply the least bit of pressure. I made a bird flesher out of a fan motor. I went to Walmart and bought a clear plastic tub and mounted the fan motor on the outside in the proper position. Mounted the soft wheel to the shaft and it works. To tell you the truth I may have gotten the idea from this forum. Check the archives. I am sure there are plenty of ideas on how to make one. Good luck. Frank.

11. deerhunt1985

deerhunt1985 Only dead fish go with the flow

Mr. Frank how did you attach the wheel to the shaft?? i have one made up until that point

12. Travis I sent you an email with photos. Let me know if it made it.

13. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

Matuska taxidermy supply sells arbors to attache wheels to a motor of your choice you could probably pick one up at a hardware store too!

14. travis madden

travis madden New Member

Frank I got the email thanks for the help I really appreciate it.