1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Borax?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by travis madden, Feb 16, 2010.

1. travis madden

travis madden New Member

I am wondering what is the difference between borax and laundry soap? Could laundry soap be used instead? New to taxidermy and just wanted to know.

2. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

NO, you can't use "laundry soap"! The 20 Mule Team Borax might be found in the laundry soap section in the grocery store, but it's not the same thing.

3. Nate G.

Nate G. New Member

http://www.minerals.net/mineral/borates/borax/borax.htm. Borax is a mineral.

4. travis madden

travis madden New Member

Ha! I figured as much but out would smell nice! ;D

5. LV

LV Member

Confused by this post, so are you saying the 20 mule team borax you find in store can or can't be used? Because seems i have read a lot of post saying its the same.

6. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

The borax (Mule team) you get at the store is a laundry "booster". It CAN also be used for taxidermy purposes.
    It doesn't "preserve" the skin. All it does is bug proof the skin.

7. LV

LV Member

Thanks red wolf for clarification, was thinking of useing it for slippery areas when fleshing should it work for that purpose.

8. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

If your going to use it that way, make sure you get it all off. It will mess with your pH in the pickle.
    I think some use corn meal ??? for that so there wont be any problems down the road.

9. LV

LV Member

Thanks for info I use DP would it effect that process ? I wash after fleshing then apply DP

10. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Some DP's have alum in them, so that would soak into the skin.
    I don't know if it would mess with your pickle or not. That's a question for George lol

11. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

DP's are primarily talc(unscented baby powder) with "various" additives(Borax, alum, salt, red, white and black pepper, and naphtha flakes) in "various" proportions. Borax is a desiccant(drying agent) and bugproofer that has been used in place of the old arsenic soap that the old timers used. A good "rule of thumb" is....if you're going to tan it don't use borax on the skin first.

12. Brandon G.

Brandon G. New Member

i would like to know how has the best borax for the money? i am new to this game and do not have any suppiers yet.

13. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Your local super market has the best Borax "for the money". Twenty Mule Team and there's NO SHIPPING!

14. scanman

scanman New Member

Agree with Old Fart, been using 20 Mule Team borax for 30 years with no problems. No shipping.

15. Brandon G.

Brandon G. New Member

Thank yall,,, so it will do the job of preserving a deer hide when you mount it ?

16. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

the taxidermy isle at your local walmart will have it, and they have everyday low prices LOL

17. Brandon G.

Brandon G. New Member

Thanks Harley,,,,, this will save me a lot of time and money. I just been getting confused with everyone ideas. some say no some says yes. got another ? do you personally use hide paste or not with borax when your mounting?

18. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

I don't use borax except on birds and sometimes when I split and turn slimey faces I know people say not too, but I wash ALL my capes with a cleaner prior to tanning and have never had a problem.

19. Brandon G.

Brandon G. New Member

the guy that i am studying under don't tan the hide i thank this is where i get confused with the differant ways to do taxidermy.

20. Bone Heads

Bone Heads Kristen M. Armenia

Another nice thing about Borax, if it doesn't work to your liking on your hides no loss just use it in your laundry. I'm frugal and can't stand when good intentions go wrong, and money gets wasted. Borax is a good product, not very expensive, and will get used.