1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What's on your workbench?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Waterfowler, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Waterfowler

Waterfowler New Member

A while back JonHarle started a topic titled this with before and after pics. I love looking at works in progress versus finished mounts. Would be neat to get it going again....Could be critique free unless the poster wants critiques. I myself never mind being critiqued as i think it is the best way and fastest way to improve on your work. Sometimes an artist is blind to their own quality and it takes another eye to point out something that needs to be changed. What do you guys think? i will see if i can get a few posted from today and yesterday.

2. Waterfowler

Waterfowler New Member

Re: What on your workbench?

Here is one to start. A baby canada. Fill free to critique or offer input. [​IMG]

3. Re: What on your workbench?

Nice lookin bird! I really admire how "clean and crisp" the wings are, Only thing I think "needs" attention is to give the feet/legs some action or character they look to "limp"

4. daniel

daniel New Member

you are right very nice mount i would not of noticed the feet if w.man hadnt mentioned the feet legs etc good idea sometimes you dont see what others see again nice mount ;) the best daniel

5. wings II

wings II New Member

I love workbench photos....hope this thread gets full fast :) :)...
    [​IMG]

6. Waterfowler

Waterfowler New Member

Yeah wingman i think you are right and i normally put too much action in them. The reference i had of geese taking off out of a field all kinda have their feet just hanging with the webs closed. I got nailed at a comp. because i opened them up on a jumping bird. how would you suggest posing them on a taking off bird? Thanks for the help. Yeah Matt sometimes i would rather see these than the finished pieces.... I need to put my euro pins in some foam like you got..... They end up in my finger when i reach into the bucket..... Here is another..... gonna be hard to see through the string but she is waiting on basework and two drakes to keep her company. [​IMG]

7. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

sorry no pics cant seem to sort out photo bucket ,,but got a sandhill 1 widgeon 1 woodcock and last week 6 crows

8. Re: What on your workbench?

The webs are fine, make the bird "pedaling" a bit put motion in the leg not the foot. JMO. NICE woodie Birdworks, I have tons of "workbench" photos I could add, I often learn something just by seeing a freshly mounted "carded" bird, Neat thread!

9. Hoss0902

Hoss0902 I drink to make other people seem more interesting

Bird works, I see you have a Barbers brush on your work bench too. I love mine.
    Sorry I can't contribute right now, but the other day I did a ruffed grouse. Not the best specimen in the world. :-\

10. RDA

RDA Active Member

goood gaareif man!!! THat looks like a HOSPITAL!!!! ;) ;D Ive got benches i havent seen in a year,,,,, :D

11. Re: What on your workbench?

SHEESH Rick, I think you need to spend more time on birds and less on cleaning ;D :) Seriously though Nice clean organized shop, Like it! Heres a couple I am looking forward to putting together soon. :)

Attached Files:

12. Waterfowler

Waterfowler New Member

Can't wait to see those Kings Wingman. Gonna try and get before and after on drake wigeon. Won't get started till six though. Gonna be a late night i guess. Meanwhile gotta go see if we are gonna have a baby boy or girl for our first kid.

13. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

This could be a fun thread....almost as fun as BOTW. My danged net is down at home so i only get to check in once or twice from time to time till we get it fixed. I may have to snap some pictures and join in if it keeps going though ;)

14. Re: What on your workbench?

I agree. I just picked one up and I love the thing. I don't have any pics right now but I have a goldeneye, mallard, a 41 1/2" king salmon, and a coyote. Actually working on the salmon now.

15. Re: What on your workbench?

Yes I enjoy this thread already, No worry about finishwork or tape,pins etc no backdrops LOL Heres two that were on my bench a couple hours ago. :)

Attached Files:

16. Waterfowler

Waterfowler New Member

SWEET mallards wingman. I dig em both but something about the way the head and neck flow on the front one really makes him come alive. Can see him looking down on a spread already.

17. wings II

wings II New Member

I think mine is finally wearing out...I got it from Matuska's about 7 years ago I think. And Hoss, who cares about specimen quality - post 'em up...a thread like this is perfect for just enjoying the art of taxidermy and learning from other bird brains. :)

18. wings II

wings II New Member

I pulled this recent project out of the bag and realized it had no leg bones, no wing bones, no carcass sketch, no measurements...nuffin'! Now I want to go hunt these in the Yucatan so bad I can taste it :D
    [​IMG]

19. stuffinducks

stuffinducks New Member

Dang it Eugene,

I got to get you to use less BLUE TAPE on your birds, your giving me a headache. :D

SD

20. jsbirds

jsbirds I think I can, I think I can...

Great Oscillated Bird Works. Wingman is that two kings.... Id be lucky to get one :D