1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What's on your workbench?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Waterfowler, Feb 16, 2010.

1. o boid from me...and now the garage smell like the whole forest ... ::)

[​IMG]

2. daniel

daniel New Member

very nice jay luðvik ;) milo nice boid ;) nice boids all......d

3. Peter Span

Peter Span Corvids, gotta catch them all!

Verry nice jay Ole, I like fluffy birds ;D

4. taxidermycollector

taxidermycollector I am in Europe, sooo no need for Uncle Sam's regs

Californinian Quail, comments please. This is my first one and am seeking comments

Attached Files:

5. daniel

daniel New Member

i dont know where to start but here goes ...looks bloody good to me ;) ;) nice job .....d 8)

6. ludvik

ludvik beginner taxidermist :-)

thx for the kind words guys ;D
    renjam yeah i know my english sucks lol. but glad you get the point then ;D and nice ducks to ;)
    nice and cool mounted caper milo
    nice quail taxidermycollector hmm comments :eek:SHOOOT HE IS STEEL ALIVE :eek: :eek: :eek: ;) 8)

7. muleyhunter

muleyhunter Soulmates, Gods way of saying together forever

Ludvik, your taxidermy skills far exceed your english...ha,ha,...but you certainly get your point across. That jay looks fantastic! X2 ;) ;) :D Taxidermycollector, You're kiddin me right??????????

8. taxidermycollector

Guys thanks for the positive feedback, but I have 2 more in the freezer and was told that the bird was too long (Mr Lifeless??????LOL).

I am looking for feedback / comments on what is wrong with the bird so as to take them on board for the next 2. Sooooo, Ron, Jeff, Nancy etc etc have a look and tell me where it can be improved please as you guys routinely do these and we do not. Many thanks

9. Capercaillie

Capercaillie New Member

Ive bred thousands of Califorians, and this does look spot on, nothing wrong with it AT ALL.

10. snowhare

snowhare New Member

It has no back on it , need to by higher , than it ll look shorter :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

11. snowhare

snowhare New Member

This my stuff , a scarlet ibes i ll be making two of em , and they are i breeding condition , yup than the bill is black, more picures tomorrow

Snowy

Attached Files:

12. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

California quail do, in fact, appear longer bodied than some other kinds, such as coturnix quail and bobwhites, and I don't think that your quail is necessarily too long. I am looking at where the trailing edge of the secondaries falls in relation to the tail. If anything, I think it might need to be slightly deeper through the breast and abdomen.
    I have had live ones, though, and yours looks to me like it would still fall within the realm of possibility.

13. taxidermycollector

Nancy / Ron

Thanks for the comments. I looked a lots of reference images and they range from either a bowling ball in shape or long. Just depends on the mood of the bird I suppose. I went with a longer look, but must admit prefer the refernce shot you have provided above.

The feather pattern does provide a "painting by numbers" to a large extent, which made putting it together easier. Perhaps not the best but I did enjoy mounting it, other than the wing placement, in relation to the body mass. Very short stubby wings and deep, steep sided bodies.

Thanks once again

Attached Files:

14. I have been meaning to get this new project going for a while and it is almost done now. My old sink was terrible and I really needed something better. It was like a sink that I remember from elementary school. So I found a stainless steel sink at a junk yard, had a buddy plumb it for me, guys at work welded the frame, and now it just needs wood for cabinets and paint. I am really excited to have a functional sink now. Next I want to try and find one of those wands like the dishwashers use at resturaunts, or something like that so I can have a spray hose.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

I know fuzzy pics ,,but this is a body for a rhea that I carved out ,I had no carcass to go by,Just measurements taken from the skin and using the ostrich body pictures as a reference .The legs are the same ones that I skinned and replaced the bone with foam ,also skinned the entire wing out to lighten the whole mount. The bill ,beak will be cast ,but not the skull,again to lighten the mount .This mount will be placed on the wall as if running with some pampas grass and sandy dirt for base suspended by a hangar from the back not the legs.

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      77.6 KB
      Views:
  16. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

another view of rhea body,the wings are 2 ''strands of 12 gauge wire and foam inserts then wrapped with floral wire ,they'll get a good coating of glue before I sew up the wings

Attached Files:

• 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      60.7 KB
      Views:
  17. snowhare

snowhare New Member

Here is me scarlet ibes , need to be groomed

snowy

Attached Files:

18. renjam33

renjam33 First turkey

Snowy....that is one sweet looking bird, I love the colour! Nice job.

19. hop

hop Member

even I have been busy.... :D

Attached Files:

20. hop

hop Member

and a small one

Attached Files: