1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What's on your workbench?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Waterfowler, Feb 16, 2010.

1. lee tees valley

lee tees valley tweety luvva.

:eek: peter 8) now i'm jealous ;D that bittern is mint 8) i will get me hands on one of those beautys someday 8) i here foxes eat them a lot ??? damn them stinkin vulpine's ;D ; they gotta go ??? D ;)

2. wings II

wings II New Member

Damn Peter...that is a smokin' Before and After Shot....I'll make a feeble attempt to keep up!
    Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]

3. wings II

wings II New Member

Welcome King Eider....Lee, post up some of your excellant work! I want to see your work bench...of course you'll have to crop the herbal cigs out :eek:

4. wings II

wings II New Member

Daniel, I don't know what insulation you're going to use in Greenland!! When will you see dry ground?

5. Hoss0902

Hoss0902 I drink to make other people seem more interesting

Peter, My work bench look like yours...lol

6. ludvik

ludvik beginner taxidermist :-)

verry nice and cool trade. and nice works!!!!

here is mine for this. my first re mounting :-[ it is a 20 years old mount

before

Attached Files:

7. ludvik

in the prosses

Attached Files:

8. ludvik

it was a nice experience and not so easy for me. but i get it together again whit some feders. ;D

Attached Files:

9. wings II

wings II New Member

WooHoo, Ludvik is on board! I love shop shots - I just learned a bunch from your remount pics Ludvik. Excellant mount as usual :)

Remounts are terrible to do...here is one I tackled last year:
    BEFORE:
    [​IMG]
    AFTER:
    [​IMG]

10. stampnducks

stampnducks Member

Utah
    Here is one I don't get to do often.

Attached Files:

11. wingman

wingman Active Member

DAMN Ludvik and BW nice work on the remounts, That is a topic i would love to see some of the euro talent chime in on as they seem to have no problem remounted even ancient "tweety" mounts, amazing!! Nice footwork on that coot :)

12. ludvik

i take my hat off from your re mount bird works :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: amazing done!!!

13. smalliestalker

smalliestalker and a river runs through it.

[​IMG]

14. lee tees valley

lee tees valley tweety luvva.

hey matt ;D my work bench look's like crap :eek: ;D very untidy :'( ;D , good work on the remounts guy's 8) me like's that coot aswell 8) ;)

15. mjvaden

mjvaden New Member

Hey Guys, Great Work!! To many great mounts to even mention.

BW and ludvik those remounts are AMAZING!!! I can't even believe the buffle head is even the same bird!

Here are a a couple in my messy shop.

This is a Senegal thick knee
    [​IMG]

and a west african crowned crane
    [​IMG]

a macaw and a guan
    [​IMG]

and some west african hornbills
    [​IMG]

16. Hoss0902

Hoss0902 I drink to make other people seem more interesting

Mike that is AWESOME, Love the crane.

here is what I did tonight, A hen wood duck for a VERY SPECIAL customer.

Here is the Hen
    [​IMG]

And here is the customer... :D The hen wood duck was the first bird my dog retrieved at 7 months old.
    [​IMG]

In the "Shop" watching pops work...
    [​IMG]

17. wingman

wingman Active Member

WOW!! Lotsa participants on this thread, Very Cool!! Here is My day today a pair of Mallards and a Fulvous Tree Duck. The last three birds in a wholesale shipment!!! On a sidenote take a look at the "convex" tails on the goose and mallard in the photo on the next post. I had a friend ask me wether that would be correct for a landing bird Meaning they technically should be concave to be "catching" air as Brakes. I like the look and believe it is entirely natural and in the birds realm of "tail maneuvering" BUT what are your thoughts?!! Just curious to see what your opinions are?

Attached Files:

18. wingman

wingman Active Member

Here's the photo of the Mallards and Goose I mentioned in the previous post, Thoughts?!! :) The ones with the blue and red X by them ;)

Attached Files:

19. Peter Span

Peter Span Corvids, gotta catch them all!

Wow Ole and Bird Works, very nice. I'm actually experimenting with remounting some old corvid mounts. Some worked out, but others fell apart (probably a bit too old ;D).

20. Waterfowler

Waterfowler New Member

Hey Wingman... i have definitely seen geese and ducks do that with their tails. I can post at least three goose pics two taking off and one snow landing with their tails back.... I have been told at competition that they only put their tails back or up, when their wings go back or up, but when watching a video of a duck flying, i have seen that isn't always the case. Generally i see their tails flared back when their wings are back, but occasionally i see them opposite to each other. Birds can and do a lot of things with their body that if we duplicated might get laughed at in a competition. I personally think it adds a different twist to your mounts and gives them more action. I do it on certain poses as well. By the way nice mounts. I gotta get busy.... This working full time and mounting late nights is wearing on me. Seems that there is never enough hours in the day and gratefully my business is a lot bigger than i expected for relying on word of mouth to advertise.