1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What's on your workbench?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Waterfowler, Feb 16, 2010.

1. That Muscovy is insane, the detail on the head is fantastic. Would make a great tutorial ;)

2. bigworm

bigworm Member

Here is what i have been working on this week. Not as good as you guys but im trying lol.
    [​IMG]

3. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

the day eveyone thinks their work is good enough is the day they will start turning out sloppy jobs...never be satisified with any specimen regardless of what it is your mounting

4. Samson

Samson New Member

thanks museum man ;D
    so, as long as i am not satisfied with my work, there is still hope? hehe ;D ;D ;D

Greetings, Karin

5. this has to be the the very best thread on taxi net, Matt, looking forward to sitting thru your class at the ks show. You better bring a trailer this yr to take all our ks trophies back to tx. :) take care, be safe, and see you in march
    Dennis Costlow

6. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

Here is one I would normally give away to a competition artist but once in a while I keep a specimen like this one for myself.
    Sorry Matt, LOL!!

[​IMG]

7. a pheasant... killed with RPG, and retrieved by a rotweiller
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Here is what is on my workbench, still improving.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. snowkillerlssu

snowkillerlssu New Member

Attached Files:

10. Received two Cinnamon today, one was the guys first duck ever and the other was his buddies. It's one of the darkest Cinnamons I have ever taken in.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Attached Files:

11. spencer2

spencer2 Member

Did a scaup decoy yesterday. [​IMG]

12. kostas

kostas New Member

this little bird crash by car at the morning, stuff at the evening

13. Love the scaup Spencer 2. Well done.

14. I laughed so hard at how you described it. Really tho good luck with that one!

15. spencer2

spencer2 Member

Thanks. The guy I did it for said he would like to have a drake of every species done this way.

16. Samson

Samson New Member

hello all, i hope you have a nice workweek. ;)
    Yesterdays work.
    2 Pheasants, sitting one is for a customer, flying one for me, mine was killed by car so wingfeathers are o.k., but the tail was full of pinfeathers so i had to give it a new one. Eyes are acrylic ones, i love them ;D
    today's work: 3 European Jays.....

Greetings, Karin

Attached Files:

17. taxos

taxos Finches, Buntings

Nice tweetie, Kostas.

great to see some Euro pheasants, samson!

18. babak

babak Active Member

hello folks,
    Karin,that pheasants are awesome!!love that flushing one,really clean work!! for the first time i purchased 4 ringnecks of a breeder,i am a little anxious ,cuz they are too expensive for me and it's the first time i wanna work on this beautiful creatures,i hope i can do such a great work like yours!
    friends,i have few questions please help me in PM or public,the question is that can we use real heads instead of artificial one in a pheasant?how to anchor wattle to prevent of shrinkage?i will mount two of them in standing and 1 flushing and one flying!any recommendation are welcome! i have a very private question of you taxidermists i beg you to solve this problem,i will recieve the birds alive,so i wanna know if i want to use the meat how to kill them without hard injuries and as a human being easy way to kill.i know all ways to kill smallers and injured ones,but not large and alive!!!

cheers
    babak

19. Babak, to kill them easies way is to push a needle,wire or something like that, through the neck-head joint to the brains, will die in few seconds, to use the meat from them after you skin them i suggest to use corn cob or corn flour when you skin them...
    On pheasants i always use original skull, and many others i guess
    For wattles ...Jeremy did a nice tutorial on how to split them, for your first one you don't have to split them all the way, but it will look better if at least you split some of the membrane from the inside. when the bird is mounted pin the eyes, and inject some acrylic caulking /acrilic silicone with a small syringe through the beak in both wattles until they become as round as you want them. Then they will not shrink...
    That's my way, maybe others do it better ;)

20. Samson

Samson New Member

hello to all.
    yesterday was a busy day for me. the European Jays turned out to be on the edge to loose all feathers, thanks to poor handling from the customer ::)
    he thought, it is OK to let them sit in the barn for 5 days. it was cold but it also freeze and thawed every day.. ::)
    so the birds turned out OK, i think ;D

Greetings, Karin

Attached Files: