1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What's on your workbench?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Waterfowler, Feb 16, 2010.

1. nate

nate Active Member

Love that thing Lowell!!

2. featherhead

featherhead Member

Stellar as usual Lowell !!! SWEET !!!!!!!!!!!!

3. robolson

robolson www.frozeninflight.com

I love that vascular detailing!! I've tried unsucessfully to do that with Buffle Head feet in the past. It's a toughy!

4. GulfcoastWF

GulfcoastWF New Member

The web veins can be simple. Buffleheads are what I started out with. I actually had thought about clear casting molded feet for my buffleheads and puting the viens in the cast so the complete effect of the depth was there, but....

I did notice that if you inject the feet (now Im saying a fresha foot that is completely hydrated) with masters blend and a few drops of blue fabric dye, the viens will re appear in the webbing. once you can see them, its not so hard.

lightly but evenly base coat your foot on, say, a common merg. with yellow/white mix. hold it up to the light a you'll see your veins.....

Attached Files:

• a.jpg
      a.jpg
      File size:
      38.9 KB
      Views:
    • b.jpg
      b.jpg
      File size:
      60.8 KB
      Views:
  5. GulfcoastWF

GulfcoastWF New Member

just trace out the viens with a very fine, # 0/5 artist brush (dont care how good you are with the airbrush, viens are hard, sharp lines..use a brush) with red/grey mix. the grey tones the red down and make it more neutral under the next layer of paint.

then paint your foot like you normally would... umber/mallard orange/yellow/ mars red in this case... once the foot is painted, go back to your webs and make a "blanket layer" in yellow/white LIGHTLY over the smaller portions of the viens. very lightly hit the the base of the viens (you want this to show thorough the most. afer you have your vasculars at the depth you need, in this case, I frost my mallard orange/sealer mix over the top.

viola'... viens. gives the foot that little something extra. try it, it works

Attached Files:

• d.jpg
      d.jpg
      File size:
      43.4 KB
      Views:
    • e.jpg
      e.jpg
      File size:
      33 KB
      Views:
  6. GulfcoastWF

GulfcoastWF New Member

oh, and when they are backlite, they really show through and it looks awesome!

you can do this with several species including treeducks, buffleheads, mergansers, some teal, scoters and a few others Im sure...

7. cooper669

cooper669 New Member

WOW! now that's detail. Great work

8. teal1

teal1 Active Member

just finnished up

Attached Files:

9. 6th and even 15th place tie is a heck of a good placement on the Federal! Many congratulations are in order.

10. X2 on that! congrats GulfcoastWF you are Very talented. Any time you want to share painting tips please feel free that is my weakness.

11. drakeman

drakeman Active Member

That redhead looks really nice! The merganser is sweet, nice mount and paint.

12. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

gulf feet look great...but you need to clean or paint the nails....

13. GulfcoastWF

GulfcoastWF New Member

lol, I was wondering if anyone would catch that, I didnt until I was grooming earlier this morning... :/

teal1,
    how did you create the rough water effect?... it looks good! Im trying to do something like that with a seaduck piece.

14. teal1

teal1 Active Member

the water on my redhead it is enviro tex when it starts to get hard i use a 12ga. wire bent in to a u about 1and a half wide and just start pushing it in every wich way all over until i get that effect if it levels to much i do it again it takes a little practise with when to now when to do it because enviro tex is self leveling but it works out nice

15. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

Finished two today with time to start skinnin some ross. :D

Attached Files:

16. Sea Duck

Sea Duck New Member

A pair of green wing teal today.
    Dan
    [​IMG]

17. robolson

robolson www.frozeninflight.com

Gulfcoast, thanks for the tutorial on the foot veins! Teal1, awesome Red Head. Great looking back on that bird!

18. ludvik

ludvik beginner taxidermist :-)

amazing merganser Gulfcoast!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: and thx for the nice tutorial :)
    verry nice teal Dan!!!
    not any birds on my bench to night either :( still working whit those small animals :(
    here is a lemming from tonight work.still need some adjustments

Attached Files:

19. daniel

daniel New Member

very nice lemming luðvik have you ever done any fish ??? pike or something like that :eek: the best daniel

20. alexm

alexm New Member

For a hobby Guy the lemming looks great :eek:
    Alex ;)