1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What's on your workbench?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Waterfowler, Feb 16, 2010.

1. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

Rustax you are a very talented taxidermist, I love the raptor with the fish, most of all how you setup the the foot carrying the fish, very structurally sound, amazing. I also think the peacock is sweet and with heavy quills I don't see a concern with gravity having any effect.

2. nswiken

nswiken Well-Known Member

Gravity does have an effect. The eyes of those feathers are heavy, relatively speaking. A peacock displays his fan for a short time, then lays it back down. A mount has to look the same forever. This peacock did not take long to start to sag once the train was placed on the form. I had it drying flat for a few months. The client still loved it. I did not.

[​IMG]

3. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

you have to either run a wire behind each shaft or do every third or fourth one and stich together with monofilament

4. B Jones

Thanks for the great solution to a potential problem byrdman, Gravity or not Rustax does nice work for sure.

5. nswiken

nswiken Well-Known Member

His work is incredible. That's why I posed the question to the master.

6. RusTax

RusTax Active Member

Russia
    Guys, I understand your question, to be honest, I did the peacock in this position for the first time since before they were not ordered. And I did not know about this problem, Thanks for the question thestuffedbird.We will try to solve this problem, I think it is possible to implement. And the results of our research, I certainly share with you friends

7. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

Has anyone tried tying fishing line to each feather shaft . Won't that hold them in place

8. B Jones

thats what byrdman states above as part of the option for solving this problem

9. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

byrdman the Native Americans used to run a stitch between eagle feathers about 3/4ths of the way up the shaft of the feather,[for their bonnets]could this work on a peacock train??

10. RusTax

RusTax Active Member

Russia
    A new white tailed project for today :) Maybe tomorrow I will change something in this composition...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. RusTax

RusTax Active Member

Russia
    capercaillie, you mean the photos unsuccessful works?

12. Rustic that is truly awesome. Keep posting them up. Brett

13. nando

nando New Member

Rustax, your workshop should smell fishy this week :).. beautiful bird and perfect composition.

14. Taxi-lover

Taxi-lover Active Member

Stunning work RusTax again......really nice really nice...

15. RusTax

RusTax Active Member

Russia
    No, :) to happiness, the fish is not my job, it comes to me is completely dry. In the workshop smells only by birds ;D

16. GC

GC New Member

First couple hours today has been productive... Still have to preen him but onto the next one for now. Have a good weekend everyone!

Attached Files:

17. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

beautiful pintail-deadmount GC

18. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

you could try it but somewhere the weight has to be supported by something other than other feathers

19. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

Something you dint see everyday. Shot this guy a couple years ago.
    [​IMG]

Neat white undercoat.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like the pose but I'm not sure it's an eider pose. I think they tend to glide in and not really cup up. May change it in the am.
    [​IMG]

20. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]