1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What's on your workbench?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Waterfowler, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Dam Eugene! Back off on the use of that blue tape will ya? Save some for the rest of us. lol

Nice birdies everyone.

2. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

blue tape may be fine for holding some feather tracts in place...and I used to use a bit here and there.....trouble is once its on you cant see whats going on as bird dries so you cant make any adjustments....and the real problem comes when you try to remove it....

3. wingman

wingman Active Member

Brydman, That's interesting. Where I am at I have left blue tape on mounts for YEARS and it removed with ease years later, Yet I have heard from others that they to have had it remove with difficulty. Even after a short time on the mount. I wonder if Humidity affects it? as far as carding VS blue tape, I use BOTH. I personally think carding blocks out "viewing" the feathers as much as tape. But I do see your point, I see waterfowler and a few others with NO tape or carding on a tail of a freshly mounted bird. Perhaps a technique I need to Learn??? Waterfowler care to share?

4. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

maybee bondoed or pre-mounted tails? I do this on some grouse...when I card I use strips no more than about 5/8 inch wide enuf to hold pins and see whats going on with coverts etc.....maybee the blue tape I've used had more "stick" even the gren tape I've used is hard to remove....or .....maybee my "gassed" birds are so clean from any oil residue that the tape sticks better....lol....do you use gas?

5. mark11

mark11 now accepting new wholesale clients

wingman you may have guessed right with humidity, for me here in ohio i have to be very careful with whatever tape i use in the summer and fall when it is hot and humid as it seems to make the glue melt and leave a residue behind that has to be cleaned off, i tend not to use tape at all during this time, but in the winter and spring when our humidity is next to nothing there is never a problem as long as i don't hang a mount where it will be in direct line with a furnace duct or ather source of excessive heat.

6. take em

take em New Member

May I add one other little tip on carding tails that i just ran across. I started using the little twist ties that come in the garbage can liners cut to size and add a strip of tape. The wire inside the twist tie is light but yet keeps the feathers flat. and you can bend them to get the desired look you want. I have used them for wing tips too.

7. Waterfowler

Waterfowler New Member

Hey wingman..... no secret here. I just card them after i take a quick picture for this workbench thread. ;) Every bird of mine gets wrapped if standing and carded appropriately. I do however try to stay away from tape as much as possible. I definetly don't use it on competition stuff. I do think that humidity afftects it as i have tried it here and just don't like it. Its fast a practical to apply, but removing isn't as easy even if i put it on my jeans first. For being pretty new to taxidermy, my methods are pretty old school. Just time and patience particularly in skin and body prep, and the bird almost mounts itself. :D

8. wings II

wings II New Member

It's nice seeing all the professionals posting their work and tips. Can't thank Waterfowler enough for starting this thread....and fast approaching 40,000 hits! Great work everyone!
    Here's a pair of fighting pheasants....will position feet tomorrow and then a wall base with habitat will be added to this piece later. :)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. wingman

wingman Active Member

Byrdman, Yes I'm a "Gasser" LOL The green tape you mentioned is made with more adhesive qualities. its interesting, some people say the blue tape "sticks to much" and some "not enough" Anyway, Here's todays two wholesale birds, one freezer burnt and one STS ;D

Attached Files:

10. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

Started out with swiss cheese. Both wings busted, 1 & 1/2 legs and about 30 shot holes. After an hour or so of sewing.....got the lil butterball alost done.

Went to my first comp and was told i was making my bodies too big. If in doubt, downsize. I have put that to heart and what do ya know.....feather tracts falling into place, less grooming, NICE!!!!!

After 4 or so years of being to stubborn to quit, i might just be getting a small part of it. ??? Ever ask yourself how you could do something so wrong for so long?

Attached Files:

11. wingman

wingman Active Member

Back in the "old days" three "woodies" a day was something I handled with ease, Now that I'm getting "older" It was a difficult day ;D Actually three woodies a day is a "job" anyday especially when your dealing with less than prime specimens, Seems like EVERY wholesale woodie I take in is a POS,Sometimes your just happy the thing has a crest and that the "bar" sidepocket feathers didn't fall out in the wash LOL., Sure have glued a fair share of them back in on these "buggers" LOL. :p

Attached Files:

12. cinnaman

cinnaman New Member

Hey wingman, can we get some different angles of the center bird. That bird looks KILLER!!!!

13. wingman

wingman Active Member

Cinnaman, I will post some up when its "fine tuned" and dry, Its chilling in the freezer right now LOL

14. Waterfowler

Waterfowler New Member

Hey wingman..... what you doing up so late.... Isn't it past your bedtime ;D Woodies look nice, nothing to complain about on those. Here is my favorite bird to shoot. Big ole Texas Sprig.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In light of the recent latex caulk debate.... Here are the results of a no caulk head.....
    [​IMG]

15. bird artist

bird artist New Member

So glad to be done with this guy for now. Thanks for the tips wingman!
    aaron

Attached Files:

16. wau wau wau, a lot of awesome birds ...great work guys love to see them

here is my last red crested pochard of a trio scene

Attached Files:

17. Nice birds guys, especially the sprig. Beautiful!!

18. babak

babak Active Member

hi every body from Iran,
    Mr wingman,Mr birdworks,Mr waterfowler,Mr bird artist and Mr Milo and Mr txoutoors,
    thank u for posting this beautiful recreations,
    waterfowler,love your details.nice job !
    Milo ,I'm a beginner but i see a great Equilibrium on foot and great posture with the neck and head.it's really beautiful.
    bird artist,i always try to find a way to say "thanks for the tips Mr wing man",u told what i really want to say by heart!there is no cost for his valuable guidelines and tutorials!
    nice works every body ,i really enjoy them!

19. 1st time trying this pose for me.

[​IMG]

20. bird artist

bird artist New Member

Those woodies are killer wingman! Lots and lots of beautiful work, wow.
    aaron