1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What's on your workbench?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Waterfowler, Feb 16, 2010.

1. GulfcoastWF

GulfcoastWF New Member

the center - cascades. 15 ft

Attached Files:

2. GulfcoastWF

GulfcoastWF New Member

last one

Attached Files:

3. That is cool, tell us more!!!

4. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

Here is one I have been working on since last week. I give you Turkey guys credit for working those strutting birds. I am seeing purple in my sleep from all the grooming and I still don't like it. I had him strutting like a Turkey then found a pic of them displaying so I compromised with this pose.
    [​IMG]
    GC I would love to paint a mural on our wall in the new home but the subject matter wouldn't be accepted! LOL!
    Is that cut on the back? I have been skinning my birds between the shoulders for a long time no better way to do it and makes the fleshing on thin skinned birds much easier.

5. Great looking birds Grouse Park!!

Steve.

www.carversgallery.ca

6. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

Oregon
    Thanks Tim and Lowell. I really appreciate it. It was good talking with you Lowell. That new skinning technique looks interesting. You are a true artist as well. I don't know where you get the energy and the drive to complete so much top quality artwork in so many directions. Amazing!

7. Come on Gulfcoast! Anyone can do a paint by number? ;) Love the water with the translucent effect. It really looks like some rocks under water! The whole thing is absolutely super. Of course as a mural painter you are in a league of your own!

I take it that your new skinning technique is a twist on Eugene's tutorial (where he pulls the carcass at the breast versus the tail)? Looks like far less sewing for sure, but what about the superglue? Are you not using this method any longer? I suppose with a vertical incision, it would be much more difficult to glue, and not see a seam. I tried your leg to leg method and gluing the flap, and the incision was easily hid, but I don't think I could pull off a vertical glue job? Back to vertical incision and stitching for me just due to me being more comfortable with my wiring method, and needing more room to run the wires, but I sure love the tutorials and seeing different techniques though. I tried running the wire for the wing from outside through the radius and ulna into the form, as you showed in your tutorial, and I like the flexibility you have in shaping the wing and the flight web, I just had some difficulty supporting the wing without it slightly twisting as it dried. One more thing, that clay-based wallpaper paste and the syringe method of filling the wings etc., is the BOMB! unfortunately, it looks like they may be discontinuing the product in my locale, so I bought what they had, and hope to never run out.

8. scpol

scpol Wholesale Bird Taxidermy....Fan of Mike & Harry

[​IMG]

9. RDA

RDA Active Member

Sweet dood! DU will be happy !! ;)

10. GulfcoastWF

GulfcoastWF New Member

Pat, I have no energy! lol. I have been burning my candle at both ends and now through the middle! Im exhausted. In those seven days I did that mural, I think I still managed to put together 6 or 7 birds in the evening, some doves and hottentot teal for the museum. I am ready for a long nap but I have a 400 mile drive back to OK tonight first :/

Pete, seriously, Eugene doesnt know JACK diddly SQUAT! lol....j/k Eugene (now that I know you are twice my size ;). I will say, I have gone back and saved most all of His wingtips and anyone else looking to be a better birdman would be a fool not to do the same while the opportunity is there. The man for sure has a wealth of bird stuffin' knowhow and should just get it over with and write a book on the subject. IMO. Id by the first copy :)

The skinning is not Eugene though...its from frustration, and no, I dont intend to glue this one. I will tell you, it is fast and versitle to externally wire a flying bird. The best part ot it, if you see the wire as a replacement for the FLIGHT TENDON only and nota support for the bone, you WILL get a very nice, natural shapet to the leading edge of your wing. there should be very little material/"caulking" in front of that wing joint. I just let the wire give the shape to front of the wing, just as that removed tendon would do if the bird were in actual live flght. give it a thought next time you have a fresh bird in hand and you will definatly get my drift.

Hey Brian, I will say I have done a whole lot of geese "belly posers" comin' in off the wall with a back cut. small birds I have not, I may have to give it a try. Again, sewwing is my weakness and I am as slow as snail goo at it.

11. muleyhunter

muleyhunter Soulmates, Gods way of saying together forever

HOLY CRAP Golfcoast that is beautiful :) :) :)

12. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

Oregon
    I got a couple divers done today...

[​IMG]

13. Nice Pat!!

14. grouse park

grouse park Member

Love the Lesser Scaup a lot the shoulders look great on both nice job !!!!!
    Dan

15. Rick RR GBirds

Rick RR GBirds Let's go kill some birds...I'm psyched!

Great stuff Pat...Really love the Scaup too!

16. grouse park

grouse park Member

These are Game framed pinoend Harlequins they died :mad: Not to state the obvious . any ways, unforchantly it was at the end of June :mad:
    these are the first Harlequins I have mounted i had some learning curve on these . these birds had worms and starved to death i think it makes them that much harder. Any ways just finished the today and hen was yesterday. The feathers are increideably worm and sun damaged very sad

NOT HAPPY at all with them. Thank God I was smart enofugh to wait on the Stud male harlequin wild shot male in the frezzer can't wait to get him done.

Dan

Attached Files:

17. daniel

daniel New Member

[​IMG] not finished but you get the idea the best daniel ;)

18. Puffin

Puffin Member

Hi Daniel,

Nice puffin ;) ;)

19. grouse park

grouse park Member

Very nice Puffin Daniel :p very cool wish i could them live :-\

Here is a nice 3 year old game farmed Mallard he is such a PRIME bird ;D ;D

I am on my 5Th bird with removing the feet , I must admit the more I do it the more I like the method who ever came up with it .VERY NICE 8)

I actually think Mallards are quiet a beautiful bird very under rated

Cheers Dan

Attached Files:

20. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

I didnt know loons mated with puffins.....