1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What's on your workbench?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Waterfowler, Feb 16, 2010.

1. thats my first attempt at an open mouth, not too sure if its very correct or not though. i've only done maybe 10 birds or so and a half dozen cast heads

2. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

what Nancy said ,tone down the pink tongue just a shade and see if you can get the eyelid to rest on the glass it kinda looks like the feathers are touching the glass especially on the backlower ''side'' towards the ear opening

3. does a bufflehead require eye rings as well? i was planning on that after a couple days..

4. alexm

alexm New Member

Here's whats on the work room floor ;)
    Alex M

Attached Files:

5. JBird

JBird Member

its been fun to watch this thread over the past few months - unfortunately when I'm working I never seem to have a camera around - this was just put together last night - still drying - needs some heavy grooming and a nice paint job - but you get the idea - this is by far the LARGEST bird I've worked with - close to 10 ft wingspan - I have another I'll be doing flying soon - that bill is pretty amazing as well - the airsack was a challenge but it turned out alright -

[​IMG]

Jeff

6. wingman

wingman Active Member

Awesome Jeff! Now what the heck is it? LOL :D A marabou stork? Nice looking sheep Alex ;)

7. HFolm

HFolm New Member

Yeah!! What is that odd looking creature? Looks like a crane with a pelican's pouch... on its neck. Excellent job, whatever it is! I'm sure those secondaries were somewhat hard to align! ;D

8. GC

GC New Member

First duck I have mounted in months! Man I have to knock the rust off and get back into the swing of things....n ;D Doing a couple more this weekend!

Attached Files:

9. JBird

JBird Member

yes its a marabou - the only other bird that can match the condor in wingspan (for land birds - wondering abatross beats out the condor for seabirds)

those feathers with the white edging are actually secondary coverts - the actual secondaries were longer than my arm from fingertip to elbow - shockingly large birds....ugly as they come.

Great sheep Alex - a jack of all trades ;o)

10. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

Jeff
    Ugly and beautiful in his own way!!
    How is it you get to work on all those unique specimens?
    Alex again nicely done!

11. muleyhunter

muleyhunter Soulmates, Gods way of saying together forever

Jeff, Make sure you post a picture of that thing after you get it all painted. Awesome job as always. It amazes me how you can shape your wire frames.

12. wingman

wingman Active Member

Yesterdays two "Pinfeather Packages" LOL Just "try" to make em' look smooth. ;D

Attached Files:

13. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

great pose on the stork jeff....i have mounted a group of albatross's years ago at the museum and since their wings are so huge, placement on the standing birds was work...again, nice job

14. hey wingman, looks like you just bondo your rocks to the base? is that right? or is there more to it, just curious.

15. wingman

wingman Active Member

Rawrock, That rock is a small fabricated "cement" rock like the kind that are used on the outside of a home, IE "fake rock" I had a ton left over from my house construction. They drill easy are relatively light in the smaller sizes and they look 100 % real, I drill the holes for the wires and then after the bird is on the rock the wire is bent over and the rock bondoed to the base, Instant habitat where all that is left is the small amount of habitat surrounding the rock. Quick And Easy!!

16. ah, "lick n' stick" stone haha. thats actually a pretty good idea. i mold and cast a few rocks, but thats a good tip. thanks wingman:)

17. stuffinducks

stuffinducks New Member

JBird - That's pretty cool what ever it is. kinda scary looking, but very nice. GC, Alex and Wingman...awesome stuff!

SD

18. HFP

HFP Birds , birds and rare mammals from whole world..

Saturday morning work, Umbrella Cockatoo.....Ps. :eek: Jbird i really like your Marabou stork, mayby next week i public pics of my ones. Sebastian

Attached Files:

19. alexm

alexm New Member

Here's mine for today 1 more to go then skinning ducks for next week .
    Alex.M

Attached Files:

• m1.jpg
      m1.jpg
      File size:
      54.4 KB
      Views:
    • m2.jpg
      m2.jpg
      File size:
      68.6 KB
      Views:
  20. snowhare

snowhare New Member

;D ;D ;D

AH HYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA NICE TO SEE THE OLD SCOOL HERE , WRAPPING YEP ME FAFORIT WAY , AND NO I NOW YOUR SECRET A

NICE BIG MARTEN MAN :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: