1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pumpkinseed gone bad?! Weird!

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by davidp, Feb 21, 2010.

1. This fish resides in our local Chinese restaurant's aquarium. It use to have stunning colors and markings. I took pics ( poor quality) tonight. Is that just a hump like healthy bluegills get or is that one helluva tumor? They told me tonight all they feed it is raw shrimp. Thought some of you might like to see a freakish fish.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. That is 100% natural! Well its a hybrid Its actually a Flowerhorn Cichlid not a sunfish at all.
    Red Devil and Blood Parrot cichlid I think. Cant remember for sure.
    Although very similar in basic shape to a sunfish (minus the melon)
    A breeding male.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Further proof that mother nature is JACKED UP!

3. Josh I was hoping you would post on this. Thanks. They said they caught it near Jackson Mississippi . Weird fish for a catch?!

4. I used to work with those when working in a tropical/saltwater fish store in California...they're MEAN! I've gotten bit a couple times :p

Some are simply stunning and can sell for hundreds to thousands per fish!

5. I dont buy they caught it.
    Its possible, but very doubtful, they arent the cheapest fish and that specimen is Perfect! I would imagine a very pricy fish.
    they are also a warm water fish. Anything lower then mid 60s and they tend to be toast so if it was caught it was either in a warm water discharge or released that season.
    Although like Nature Goddess said the are MEAN! so its possible someone who owned it and got rid of it fast! but they could have easily sold it so like I said I doubt the story a bit.

6. JE

JE Well-Known Member

Most cichlids are mean , especially when in breeding condition, we also get these " flower horns" in the UK shops , but the Red "Parrot" cichlids we get are different, bright orange/red . Apparently they are both crosses with various cichlid species, the origins of some are unknown but usually include the Midas cichlid.

7. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

that is one weird, but cool looking fish

8. ouch times 2 ???

9. sparkyf

sparkyf New Member

Josh, your like that guy they call the "Trunk" on That Rock Show. LOL.....We need to play that game with you....Stump the Trunk....just TRY and find a fish that you dont know anything about....could be a fun game ;D