1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Caught a nice Walleye tonight ---- PICS ADDED ----

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by LionHeart, Feb 22, 2010.

1. LionHeart

LionHeart New Member

My buddy was at my place late this afternoon when I got home, he wanted to go ice fishing so I packed my stuff and we went out. About 1/2 hour drive and we were at the cabin, a small ice shack on the Gatineau river. We've put 6 lines out total, 2 in the cabin and 4 outside.

After 1 hour, I have a bite in the cabin, it's a small tiger musky, about 18in long, my first one ever :D. We can't keep it so back in the hole he goes. Another 1/2 hour goes by and I see one of my line outside that goes down, I rush out and pull a small walleye, I mean small, about 10in long lolll ::).

Back in the cabin and after a couple of beers, mother nature has her effect so I need to go and at the same time have a look at the lines. One of them have a slight tension on it so I gently pull and when I sense a fish, I set the hook. It's dark and I can barely see the 6in hole so when the fish is almost out, I went to pull it and he unhook itself and fall back in the hole. At that moment, I thought I've lost it but I stick my hand in the hole and feel the fish and was able to pull it out.

It turned out to be a 7.2lbs fat walleye, she is about 25-26in long but fat like a pig, woooooowoooo, this beats my 6.5lbs personal record, what a nice fish. We did not have any camera but I will be mounting the fish and will post some picture tomorrow when I take the measurements ;D

Just had to share with you fish heads.

Some pics during measurements ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. curtisholson

curtisholson New Member

Re: Caught a nice Walleye tonight

Sounds like a fun trip, you're lucky you still caught it after it fell back in the hole, it's a better story than "the one that got away".

3. LionHeart

LionHeart New Member

Thanks Curtis, it was a fun trip and I was very lucky indeed. :D

My buddy asked me if I want to go back this weekend or maybe next one, depending of the weather... duhhh Yahhhh, I'm in big time lolll ;D and I'll have my camera with me for sure.

4. of

of New Member

Man, that´s a fat boy. Congratulations! Although everything seems to be bigger in the US than in Europe it is different with walleyes. This is what we call a good walleye although it is a different subspecies:

Attached Files:

5. Peter Span

Peter Span Corvids, gotta catch them all!

It is actually a completely different species ;).

6. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

very nice walleye, fat sucker

7. Jeff Lumsden

Jeff Lumsden Well-Known Member

Oliver- That fish ROCKS! genetically it is probably nearly the same as ours, but only better!

Thanks for the Photo...Looks like a healthy lake too!

8. I agree with you Jeff, thats one bad a$$ fish. Whats the name of your species? They are much more beautiful than our walleye. :eek:

9. LionHeart

LionHeart New Member

X3, amazing fish Oliver, awesome picture :eek:

10. roostinridge

roostinridge Active Member

Very nice walleye

11. of

of New Member

The name of that fish is Zander (sander lucioperca). Peter Span is right. It is actually another species than the american walleye (sander vitreus), they are the same genus and genetical very similar. They are very common here. This is not me on the picture!! Wish I would have caught one like this, maybe one day. Biggest one in Germany last year was 41 pounds.

12. Nice catch congrats

13. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

You sure do take alot of measurements!!!

14. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch I hunt therefore I am.

Congrats Lionheart, That fish weighs almost exactly what my previous best walleye weighed but yours is much chunkier. I still remember the day I caught him. The river was so muddy (a couple inches visibility) that when I got him in close I could see by the size of his dorsal fin he was big but figured 4-5 lb until I got my hand under him and felt how big he realy was!!! I flipped the bail open on my reel as I heaved him behind me as far up on the sandbar as I could. That memory is almost 20 years old and still seems like just yesterday!

Oliver that Zander is a monster!