1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Duck #3, Fire away!

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by schenk, Feb 23, 2010.

1. schenk

schenk Member

Well it's my 2nd pintail. I think it's showing improvement. I see some good in it, and nothing just pops out as awful crap. It may to ya'll, fire away!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CurtisNagel

CurtisNagel New Member

Eyes are open to much, look at reference of a pintails head.

Wings dont look set right, they are drooping down on the back side.

Grooming

I couldn't tell, but is there any pictures of where the neck/breast meet?

Just curious but whats with the wires that run from your base to your wings? Did you not wire the wings through the form?

Curtis

3. schenk

schenk Member

Yeah, I did that to help hold them out. The wire is in there. Eyes open too wide, that is an easy fix. The reference photo wasn't easy to see that close up.
    Thanks! Yes Grooming and more grooming!!

4. schenk

schenk Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. get rid of that screen wire.its made to go over windows not duck wings, imo.use tape for compression and sleakness(if thats a word).stay at it........

6. schenk

schenk Member

Thanks, I'll use the tape. It was what the video showed as using, it's all I was going by. It works, but I see what your saying. Thanks again!

7. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Before you use the tape stick it to your shirt to get some lint on it. Then stick it to your feathers.
    The adhesive wont mess up the feathers that way.

8. schenk

schenk Member

Thanks Wolf,
    I got some blue painter tape that was for delicate surfaces, it's not the most sticky stuff in the world.

9. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

You need to go over to Pbase and spend some time looking at photos of real birds. Pick a photo that you like and then try to copy the pose exactly.
    Doing that will teach you more than anything else you could do - especially considering the price.

10. also another suggestion is to join your state association and go to the yearly shows.some good bird folks in arkansas that will teach you alot.the southern regionals will be in memphis march 11-13.there will be some knucklehead there doing a seminar on ducks that you could learn a little from ;) i agree with nancy on the pbase site but without the knowledge of "how to" you can see what you want it to look like all day long but never get there.i still deal with that on a daily basis.

11. schenk

schenk Member

Thanks everyone. I've been looking at the AR Taxi Assn. By next year i'll be there. I had a good photo for this, and it looks close. It's off some, but for my 3rd bird i'm happy with it. But Not satisfied. I want perfection, and a challenge. These birds are it for sure! I'm gonna have to get the hubby to break out the camera when we start banding some ducks with a guy, we are doing blue wing teal, so we can get them pictured up. They are cool birds.
    Thanks again. Learning more with every bird. I suspect that never stops, you can always learn something.

12. schenk

schenk Member

Any other comments would be great. I am working on grooming him up good and moving a few things.

13. Not bad at all for only doing 3 ducks. Dont look at! But study! all the pics. you can of ducks and there natural flight, swimming sitting, and standing positions!

14. schenk

schenk Member

Thanks Sitting duck. I'm working on putting together some pictures from DU books we have and every other source. Thanks.

15. travis madden

travis madden New Member

Schenk

Is that a world duck calling championship trophy in the background on the second picture?

16. schenk

schenk Member

Travid, It is. I have 3, and they are kinda big, so I have to put them in different rooms. I won them in 03-05.
    Won them as Angela Garner, before I got married.
    Nancy, I found out what Pbase was, WOW! now I can find lots of pictures. I've worked with this duck and worked, I see a few things and have gotten some tips on how to do it better. Next time, I will do better.
    I am fixin to get the meat off the bones of pintail #3, and see how well the fleshing wheel works.
    Thanks for everything.

17. travis madden

travis madden New Member

Very nice and congrats! I am working and hope to go back east at least once in my life.