1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

JW Elwood Northwestern School of Taxidermy

Discussion in 'Taxidermy History' started by NoteethBillybob, Feb 23, 2010.

1. NoteethBillybob

NoteethBillybob New Member

I recently came across some course pamphlets from the old JW Elwood Northwestern School of Taxidermy correspondence course. The pamphlets are in very good shape yet. Does anyone know if they still print these? If not, are they worth anything/collectible?

2. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

no longer in print, I paid $40 for a pretty nice set about 3 yrs ago.

3. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

If my memory serves me correctly, I paid about $25.00 for them in 1975 ;D

4. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Complete sets sell on Ebay for around $10

My course cost $15 whenI took it in 1959.

5. I have my grandfathers set from the 30's in mint condition...........and my dad's and my own which has seen better days......lol

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

And that was a monumental sum for me OF. Probably you too. I remember peddling an old used bicycle on country dirt roads selling Burpee Seeds packets for a quarter so I could make a dime apiece to pay for that course. Now these guys come on here and get better information than J.W. gave me and they get it for FREE. Go figure.

7. OF, George - I paid $10.00 in 1957 for the course. Worked on my Uncle's farm up in Livingston Manor, NYS picking corn and working the vegetable gardens to make a couple dollars - 'sposed to be my summer vacation but they paid me a few bucks along with room and board. As soon as I got home for the start of school I sent for the course. Still have the booklets as well as most of my dad's from the late 40's.

8. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I had to walk to school in snow up to my chest, uphill, both ways, to get smart, so I could get a job, to make $25 and buy the Breakthrough Whitetail Manual. ;) ;D

You can find that course for $10 everyday on Ebay. IMO it is worth more as a keepsake. A piece of taxidermy history for many. Really the first taxidermy course available at large. The pre-cursor to Taxidermy.Net

9. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

I still have mine....somewhere. They're just that, a keepsake. They certainly have NO VALUE as far as the information they contain. You would only learn how good we have it now by using the methods they teach. Not that some of the basics aren't possibly useful, but things are soooooo different now.

I cut a lot of grass and shoveled a lot of snow to get mine. I treasure them for what they "represent", not their content.

10. double barrel

double barrel New Member

Does anyone know when the school went out and did JW Elwood supply co. go out at the same time? I have mine from 1969, with a diploma from72. I also have a set off ebay from 1942. The catalog says, Some glass eyes are in short supply due to the ongoing war. Some of the eyes were from Germany as I recall. I would like to have the booklet entitled, "The facinating art of taxidermy" that went with the coarse, just to collect with my other old stuff.

11. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

We covered JW Elwood on the Old Forums a few years ago. You should be able to find the info there. If I recall correctly, they went out of business in the early 80's.

12. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Charles...did you commute to NWST for courses???, LOL!!! Seriously, did anyone here ever visit the "school". I just wonder how large or small it really was.

13. Never did, Joey, but I did go to their supply warehouse when I needed anything and didn't want to wait for VanDykes.

14. Silverbrook

Silverbrook New Member

I have some of those packed away somewhere from when I was 13. phil

15. Gary B.

Gary B. Active Member

I got my cousins E.J. Elwood courses after he was done with them in 1960 and now I is a taxidermist

Gary B.- circa 2010- only been practicing for 50 years LOL

16. George

Joey, Stephen Rogers and I had this discussion. IF I RECALL properly, the course was based on the "Northwest School of Taxidermy" in Omaha, Nebraska. J.W. was not a taxidermist, but was an entrepreneur who saw a golden opportunity to make money. He even operated a supply house that was still active in the 1970's I know.

17. PA

PA Well-Known Member

Here is a couple of the links in the old forum - 9 years ago and 7 years ago.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/IndustryArticles/01/a/01D9356F4A.html

http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/IndustryArticles/03/c/03C1F87D8A.html

George there is a new Akeley book coming out. I received an email from the Author who borrowed a few books years ago... http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,203417.msg1440581.html#msg1440581

18. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

N.J.
    For anyone interested, eBay currently has a full set of these 'lessons' at a very reasonable starting bid. The number for the item is: 220562305817

Mr. Rogers, I was hoping for a better moment in time for this but, thank you very much for giving my name to author Jay Kirk with regards to the new and long awaited Akeley book. Over the past few years, Jay and I have become personal friends sharing many a walk down museum halls, late night chats and some incredible Philadelphia cheese steak sandwiches. I believe the book to be an epic of no small proportions by any means. I am equally as appreciative to fellow Akeley devotee Bill Yox for mentioning me to Jay as well. In short, gentlemen, thank you!

19. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

But George...on the brochure, it showed a very large multi-storied inner city building in Omaha..which we ASSUMED was chock full of taxidermists who were working on hundreds of museum mounts, and tediously going over their correspondence students lessonbook exams...I think there was even a smokestack or two on the building, LOL!!!

20. George

Joey, if that emblem isn't emblazoned in anyone's mind who took the course, they deserved to have failed. No one ever did, of course. LOL