1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

JW Elwood Northwestern School of Taxidermy

Discussion in 'Taxidermy History' started by NoteethBillybob, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

LOL You guys remind me of Ralphie .................Ber sure to drink your oveltine........It's a crummy commercial! LOL

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Harley, that's because when we say "McDonalds" you can't think any farther than the Golden Arches. For us old farts, we can think of the old farmer and his cabbage patch along with the song. E-I-E-I-O

3. Hell, George.....I've lived in some places where that was my zip code......E-I-E-I-O lol

4. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Damn, I thought that building was the sweatshop where the Murphey's made their fortune!

5. Joe Winsor

Joe Winsor Active Member

I very much remember that CHEESE STEAK sandwich!!! It's always a good meal with you John!

6. George

Leave to a Jersey bum and a "foreigner" to screw up the name of the best meal this side of the Big Muddy. It's a CHEESESTEAK. No "sandwich". Just CHEESESTEAK. You'd get mugged in Philly if someone heard you calling it a "sandwich". And it's got to be on a Amoroso bun and if it don't drip down your chin on to your shirt, you wuz robbed and need to get your money back. Where's Crusty, he'll tell you. LOL

7. Joe Winsor

Joe Winsor Active Member

foreigner?

Pittsburgh even without the cheese is FAR better city. ;)

8. George

In Saigon we called it mystery meat sandwiches. In the Phillipines we called them rat sandwiches. Now what do you call them in PITTSBURGH, Joe??? LMAO

A good cheesesteak is one that you bite the tip off the end like a cigar and then use the New Orleans crawfish technique and suck all that greasy juice out of before you start eating it. Now THAT'S culture.

9. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

My second grade friend (Jerry Vantrese) and I bought the course on a buddy system promotion in 1960. My mom refused to give me my share of the money to send for the course so I mowed lawns for it. I remember we ruined several ducks and more than one grey squirrel but I never really got of taxidermy after those days. I have lost track of Jerry.

10. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

I disagree OF. How much different can skinning a bird be today than it was back then? Good info for those of us who like to read some things instead of watching on a boob-tube..Granted the mounting techniques are a bit different today but, the results can be the same...OK, well maybe not..

They are a good addition to one's collection of taxidermy literature.

I carried newspapers to earn the money to purchase mine. I looked forward to the arrival of each and every new pamphlet. I remember how disappointed I was when I received the 2nd pamphlet on bird mounting before I had the one for skinning and preserving. You didn't call, text or e-mail to report a problem back then. You drafted up a letter, put it in the mailbox and watched for the postman to pick it up. Several weeks later you received a written apology and were told your first lesson would be in the mail next..

AHHH, I can still smell the Calorax....

11. Joe Winsor

Joe Winsor Active Member

Jaegerschnitzel is a WESTERN Pennsylvania favorite!

http://www.pennbrew.com/data/english/restaurant.htm

12. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Well cyclone, I'd say that skinning around the beak and across from one heel to another constitutes a vastly different way of skinning a bird that the NWS books taught. I'd have to say the skinning a fish has some similarities or maybe a rug skinning job, but I know I approach most things in a whole different way than I did back in the "good old" days. Like you, I did look forward to receiving the new lesson in the mail

13. Mark V.

Mark V. Chinook Salmon replica

I have a set of the JW Elwood and also a touchstone course,John Rinehart, and a set of the Jonas technique books. I also have a Herters taxidermy book. I attended a couple of taxidermy seminars of Rineharts back in the day. he used to have a portable taxidermy supply trailer you could buy everything he taught with after each days seminar. He even gave you a diploma for each course you attended. What a marketing genius :D,Mark

14. mike g

mike g Active Member

JW Elwood went out of business in 1998 and sold most of the form rights to Steve Evers of Wildlife Creations in Omaha. Steve did some updated lesson vidoe's for JW Elwood but were a flop.