1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

how not to loose scales?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by elk74, Feb 24, 2010.

1. I have mounted lots of animals but i am very new to fish.Just finished skinning a rainbow trout and I lost a lot of scales and am wondering if there is some way of skinning and handling a trout without loosing so many scales?I have a new found respect for you fish pros, let me tell ya!Any fish tips would be greatly appreciated.Thank you.

2. axel

axel Member

depending on the fish, I have used a DA soak before skinning. I've also poured liberal amounts of borax on top of plastic which I would lay the fish in while skinning. Taking the meat out in chunks instead of whole. But the most important, and obvious, is to be very gentle. My worst have been crappies but the DA soak works well with them.

3. I have also found it's super important that they are fresh, or frozen when fresh. ( Fresh being within a couple hours at most) If you skin them when they just died then you lose almost no scales at all. Though I am sure that does not apply to some fish (such as Crappies)

4. cwebs

cwebs Member

I have been doing my own fish for a year now and don't have lots of experance but I skined my first Croppie after DA/H2O soak and didn't loose ANY scales on the show side. For what it's worth. Carl

5. thanks for the info ,I really appreciate it .Next time I will be better prepared ,and will use these suggestions.