1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

possible enclosure

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by The Head Shop, Feb 24, 2010.

1. The Head Shop

The Head Shop New Member

Iowa
    we are looking to build another enclosure b/c we are getting too busy and have some big elk and moose to do. they just dont fit in our freezers. taking a look at iowaplasticsinc.com. going to just build one big enough for anything we may come across. we are thinking 6' by 8' and 4' tall. do you think that should do it?

2. Littlejoe1973

Littlejoe1973 New Member

Idea for you. Have you ever considered trying a 330 gallon plastic tote and cutting an access in the top? You'd have to insulate it but it would be big enough for you and you could hose it out with the valve on bottom if need be. You can get them for $30 around here, sometimes free if you're in the right place at the right time.

3. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

Pretty fancy plastics. I like it. I bet its spendy though. I used plywood and coated it with no issues. My biggest elk are just over 4' wide...you might be a little big on dimentions but??

That white plastic....you furnish sunglasses for the beetles. ;D

4. 330 gallon? Is that a typo?

5. MattHCT

MattHCT New Member

Depends on th type of plastic, they can chew though plastic.

6. MattHCT

MattHCT New Member

RD X2.

7. The Head Shop

The Head Shop New Member

Iowa
    1/16'' thickness 4' by 8' is around $18. so not crazy. we would build a wood 'cage' and have them jsut slide the plastic in and weld it seamless. not sure yet but seemed like a decent idea

8. any of you ever visit a fiberglass laminate shop?? i am guessing not. you can usually pick up remnants from 1/2 to 3/4 thick plywood w/ the laminate on both sides. same stuff they use on refer trucks and box vans and what not. the bugs cant chew it or climb it. if you put together a box 4ft wide by 6ft long and 2ft deep they can climb the entire rack/skull and drop back into the box.

9. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

what about the thin aluminum that HVAC shops use to create duct work? This could be used to cover the inside of a box.

10. extremebison

extremebison New Member

I'm looking at getting a tin basher to build me a bin. 7x7, 4 ft tall. Then I'm going to get it sprayed foamed a little big I realize but I could lay two or possibly more 60 inch moose in no problems, or multiple caribou. This reminds me I have to get on this project, trapping season has been taking up my time and it got put on the back burner.

11. MattHCT

MattHCT New Member

2 moose at once? You must have a ginormous colony to clean 2 big skulls at once. If your colony isn't big enough then your just going to over load them and the skull will dry out. JMO. :)