1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

help with research on 'doing' taxidermy

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by libby55, Feb 24, 2010.

1. libby55

libby55 New Member

Anyone fancy providing some info on their experiences of doing taxidermy to help me out with some uni research for a PHD on taxidermy, surfaces, texture and emotion? Below are some questions that, if anyone has the time, it would be great to have some answers to!

What aspects of ‘doing’ taxidermy do you enjoy the most and why?

What is the least enoyable astpect of taxidermy for you and why?

How does taxidermy effect the way you look at and engage with live animals?

How important would you say the sense of touch is for you in 'doing' taxidermy?
    -is it more imporant than the other senses (i.e vision)?

Do you find there are certain textures that you look out for when skinning, which tell you something about how you might have to approach that particuar specimine (i.e extra squidgy as a result of decomp, skin it quick and get it into acetone)

Do you ever have any emotional responses to doing taxidermy? (i.e ever have sypathy for the animal, get frustrated over fur falling out or with wishing you had been more delicate and not sliced through the skin)

Short or long answers greatly apprecitated!!

2. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

I hope you are researching taxidermy for someone else who is working towards their Ph.d. (Latin: philosophiæ doctor, meaning "teacher of philosophy") Otherwise, It would be extremely difficult to defend your thesis with as many spelling (bold for your enjoyment) and grammar errors as you have in your post.

That's the short of it...

Sorry, but I smell a rat..

3. it could be short hand for peta thanks for your intrest

4. Pye

Pye Too orangy for crows

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=408529

http://www.le.ac.uk/ssds/esac/employability_writtencommunication.html

5. MattHCT

MattHCT New Member

Yawn. NEXT weird question!

6. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

Okay. I'll willingly suspend my disbelief.

I enjoy almost everything about taxidermy. Fish, birds, mammals, gameheads, reptiles (especially recently...lol). I was a little weird in school because I truly did enjoy it all...almost. :) I love making habitat, building everything. It's all just awesome.

I do not enjoy bird brains. They're slime...but not even that good. Fix is to use artificial heads. Tada! I also don't enjoy dealing with some customers.

I pay more attention to the details of animals now. My cat's eyes are awesome. The nictitating membrane...how the gunk builds up in the corner...that stuff fascinates me now.

Sense of touch is very important. When sculpting eyes, close yours & feel with your fingers. Symmetry is important. You'll "see" things with your fingers that your eyes would never catch.

If I'm working on something & it smells funky...call the client or better yet, they're still there when I'm smelling. Stink usually means slip & I'd rather work on the best I can get. If it's too far gone, oh well. Stop-Rot is a necessity though. ;)

"Sympathy" for the <u>animal?</u> Huh? I'm sorry. I'm a carnivore. I'm sorry for an animal like I'm sorry for trees that get cut down. It's their lot in life. Now if I can take that animal and turn it into a piece of art that a family will cherish for generations...that is cool. ;)

I will say that emotionally, I am very satisfied when I do a good job on a challenging animal. I am also quite satisfied when I put the $ in the bank. ;)

Libby...if you're a PETA person, you can bite my rosy red arse. If you're just a person who wants information, I'd like to introduce you to the "Spell Check" button. Good luck. ;)

7. Sarge

Sarge A little too much Lord *hic*

I got into Taxidermy cause I think Norman Bates is a REALLY AWESOME TAXIDERMIST and his MOTHER TURNS ME ON. :eek:

;D

Yes Mother!

Jeff

8. Lisa M

Forehead smack...lol...Sarge! LOL :p

9. Sarge

;D

Hey what can I say, it sounded like questions for some one doing a paper for a Psych or Sociology class what could be a better answer then the

"I'M WANNA BE A SERIAL KILLER" :eek:

;D

Jeff

10. Do you ever have any emotional responses to doing taxidermy? (i.e ever have sympathy for the animal,

damn PETA people, plus you have my x-wife name and age. are you stalking me?

11. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

There is no PHD "on/in" taxidermy. In the course of your studies for an advanced degree, as a topic of your doctoral thesis, you may have chosen to use taxidermists (not taxidermy, but the taxidermist by your questions) and that would be to make some sort of point about taxidermists and their having chosen this profession as it relates to the issue you are trying to prove or disprove, or the opinion your are trying to promote. I suppose there could be someone in a doctoral program with spelling and grammar issues like yours, as most hire editors to proof their drafts before submission anyway. However, there are clearly integrity/honesty issues about what you are really doing with these few little questions. Forgive the suspicions, but most who ask questions like these are from those who share the same symptoms (the uninformed, the lack of reasoning, honesty and integrity when it comes to these type of issues) and use such tactics to attack and criticize our values, ethics and way of life. If we are wrong, please provide the name of the school, the field of your doctoral degree and the specific statement of study for your particular doctoral thesis and the name of your mentor and I will be more than happy to answer your questions. Otherwise, may the trees you hug be infested with poison ivy!

12. Lisa M

Great line! LOL! And ticks...gotta have the blood sucking disease transmitting skin crawling ticks. ;D ;)

13. Sarge

OH! Lisa don't forget PUSS POCKETS you haven't lived until you feel the emotions of the Yellow Green Puss splat on the forehead. All the touchy feely types have a problem with the reality that we are just Morticians for people that love and respect nature and that it is our life's work to preserve and display animals for future generations for those who truly respect and honor the animals they have been given to opportunity to receive.

Rouge Taxidermy now that is a different subject, but there is a big difference to me between fish headed ducks with frog legs made from parts out of a Chinese restaurants dumpster and a Jack-A-Lope. That is just my opinion and if your into that hey whatever floats your boat.

But if you think about it what is the difference between a Mortician and a Taxidermist? Theirs gets burned or buried in 5 to 10 days and ours goes on display in museums or homes for generations. I guess that means we have to hold ourselves to a little higher standard then they do as far as how well something is preserved and cared for.

Does an Archaeologist that digs up graveyards to look at dead stuff or a Museum Curator, or College Biology Professor that has mounted specimens as part of their studies constantly get questioned about what they do as much as we do? I doubt it.

But we are constantly harassed about it by everyone because they don't understand it is all about nature's beauty and preserving it to us, oh and don't forget the getting paid part doesn't hurt either but if it was about money then we would be doing something that actually could make you money.

Jeff

14. Outback 33

Outback 33 U.S.A.

"Sympathy" for the animal? Huh? I'm sorry. I'm a carnivore. I'm sorry for an animal like I'm sorry for trees that get cut down. It's their lot in life. Now if I can take that animal and turn it into a piece of art that a family will cherish for generations...that is cool.
    VERY well written Lisa.

Sarge you posted while I was trying to get this up so I have to say you hit it right on the head also.

15. Gatorjaw

Gatorjaw New Member

(1) I enjoy all of taxidermy. It's like building a model, wanting each one to come out the best that I can do.
    (2) Maintaining a safe work environment for myself and others who may enter it.
    (3) In studying each species, it has given me a a great respect and understanding for their abilities and how and why they have evolved. And I have learned that the grace and beauty we see in wildlife is based on there design along with their finely tuned and calculated moves, used in there daily fight for survival.
    (4)All of our sense's have to come together at once to deliver the type of product we seek. It is a constent scrutinizing of our specimen from start to finish, making sure semitry, anatomical correctness, color and design have all been met. This takes all of our senses!
    (5) I have educated my customers on the care of their trophies, so I don't have to deal with specimens that are over decomposed. But all Items are treated with salt or brine solutions as well as stoprot to further hinder decomposition. But I do know the signs of decoposition. And in the past I have had to race the clock to save specimen's.
    (6) There is no perfect job! We have frustrations and sympathy just like everyone else, because we are human to. But it is our job, and we deal with our problem just like anyone. We look to achieve greatness in what we do. And that makes us happy as well as our customers.

16. heet

heet New Member

if thats all you have to do to get a phd is some simple questions like that then i wanna get mine , and i can spell .

17. gunner62

gunner62 Gunners Buckhorn Taxidermy

W.I.
    The only thing that I enjoy more than the (taxidermy) is the hunting down of thee animal and the KILLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. TROPHY SHACK

TROPHY SHACK Phillip cole

Me too the only thing i enjoy more than taxidermy is the thrill of the KILL....hope my spelling is correct.

19. jazz_fan1

jazz_fan1 Member

I find that I have a great deal of difficulty letting the animals I work on dry. I think the reason is because my "sympathy" for the animal won't allow me to stop crying long enough. Also The kills do kick a$$, I like to film it and watch it in slow motion later. :p