1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Crankbaits!!!

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by greener, Feb 24, 2010.

1. greener

greener New Member

Just out of curiosity how many of you make your own crankbaits for fishing. I was thinking about making a a musky lure and then making a mold of it, then painting them my self. Insted of buying them for 15 to 20 dollars, would it be worth it? Whats your opinions!

2. Just buy them. The ones you pay for actually float.

3. LionHeart

LionHeart New Member

Don't know if it would "worth it" at first because of your time involved but you can't loose much trying, you never know, you might come up with something that works great and cost little to build. The options in making your own are endless.

I say "Go for it", good luck

4. Sikk

Sikk Member

I have been making my own baits for 20 years, and now even have a small bait business, all large game fish baits. Nothing is more satisfying than designing, crafting, and then catching fish on your own baits. give it a shot, but be warned, you will get addicted. I am presently trying to perfect a wooden twitch/jerk/crank in the 12-14" range for a Minnesota guide, Paul Pollack, still working on that one. you can ck my stuff out my website www.umwartistry.com
    paul

5. Manny

Manny New Member

Not a professional but..... I too have made some crankbaits. I used bass wood for the carving then sealed and painted. Lot of time though. Back then I never thought of actually molding one, but it definetly could be done. My biggest problem was getting the bill correct for it to run correctly. I do tie my own crappie jigs.

Good luck !

6. I would just buy em

7. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

I buy them unpainted and paint them myself....very fun!

8. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

I do wish someone would invent some other type of epoxie, I hate using epoxie.

9. you will spend more making youre own. I make my own but I get the color pattern I want and get them to do things a commercial crankbait will not do. Go to tackleunderground.com and get ready to read. Tons of informtion about any type of custom bait. Do not ask a question before the search button is used. That will invoke the typical responses, this board is light in compairison.

10. Capt. Bryan

Capt. Bryan New Member

Greener,
    Here is a link to watch on making crankbaits with Larry Dahlberg. have fun with it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOpUy4GJJ8U
    Also smooth on has a polyurethane that floats.

Cheers!
    Capt. Bryan