1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Permanent Marker on WT Antlers...

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by shockme2, Feb 25, 2010.

1. shockme2

shockme2 New Member

Hello all,

I recently aquired a set of WT antlers that have black marker written all over them ::). Can anyone tell me "Is there a way to remove it w/o wrecking the antlers?" ;D

2. Try lacquer thinner in a unnoticeable spot.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

No. Permanent markers are just that on porous materials. Antlers are extremely porous and if you use something strong enough to remove an indelible marker, it's also going to take all the natural staining of the antlers as well.

4. sarahdj

sarahdj Active Member

I know that when teachers get permanent marker on things not meant for, they (ladies) will sometimes try spraying hair spray on it and letting it dry partially and wiping. Not sure, but maybe George or someone more knowledgeable than I am can tell you whether or not that would harm the antlers. Most sprays are alcohol based, if that helps any.

5. You might consider soaking them in isopropyl alcohol. Isoproply alcohol is great for removing sharpee permanent marker. I'm not sure how it will behave on antlers. I guess if it removes some natural staining you might have to restain to get the desired look. Take lots of before photos. good luck!

6. When doing things like this I will start with a weak solvent and then work my way up. I would start with soapy water just in case what you're dealing with is water soluble, then I would try alcohol, then maybe mineral spirits or laquer thinner, and finally acetone or MEK. You want to use the weakest solvent possible so that you do as little damage as possible to the underlying material.

7. Okay, I'm awake. Mark your marker lines with a marker, and wipe immediately. It may help (It does on non-porous copper) ;)

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

LOL MM, that's only because it's non-porous. Indelible markers have a solvent carrier to dispense the ink. If you mark across it before it has a chance to dry, the solvent will also lift the previous mark. On antlers, it just gets darker (mark on a piece of card stock and turn it over and you'll see what I mean). All good solvents will work on non-porous surfaces, but antlers don't fit in that. Take a piece of white chalk, mark it with a marker, and then break the chalk. You'll see just how far the marker is absorbed inside the surface of the chalk.

9. you're exactly right, but I would be curious what soaking them in a bath of isopropyl would do. The hope would be that the alcohol would penetrate and loosen up the marker. I would soak them and periodically scrub them with a nylon brush and see what that does.

10. George, I'm not awake yet, apparently. LOL

11. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

whiten and re-stain only way I have found to do it.

12. shockme2

shockme2 New Member

Hey All,

Thanks for the replies ;D. I bought this set of antlers (Plus three others, which Two had broken skull plates) from "CSTAX" and unfortunantly they were mis-represented (They didn't mention that they had marker written all over them, or that they were busted up, the pictures he posted didn't show any of this)... They wouldn't reply to alot of the PM's and e-mails (I can post the threads of communication if need be), which should have been red flag to me. I have been buying on here for about Two years and have never been screwed over like this. I guess it was just my turn. I wasn't going to post any "Bad Dealing" until I found out that the stuff isn't easily removed. :mad: Anybody else have any dealings with them?

13. hunterofall

hunterofall Active Member

i bought a set of sheds that had balck marker on them and i used " Goof OFF" and it came off...

14. Oil may take it off... Not sure why but tanning oil will take permanent marker out of plastic and off of those tyvek tags and other surfaces.. but you would probably have to degrease the antlers afterwards and you would probably be better off with Harley's Whiten and Recolor...

15. You could end up spending more on all of these chemicals that everyone is suggesting than the antlers are worth. LOL. But here is another one that I have used to remove stain and varnish from antlers. Zip Strip. Wear some gloves, it is bad stuff.

Bruce

16. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

X2, Zip Strip and maybe whiten then restain with minwax mahogany gel stain, and good as new.

17. shockme2

shockme2 New Member

I'll give some of these ideas a try. I figure he isn't going to refund my money for this junk, so I might as well experiment. Thanks everybody? ;D