1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tanning back skins in house

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Rhino, Feb 27, 2010.

1. OS,

You told me about that back issue a while back, but I never said anything in public. I wish you well and I hope that you never are considered anyone's liability. Just remember that people's opinions are almost never formed with all the information in hand and you deserve the chance to bring your line of home tanning online for the industry.

Amazing how your idea comes out last year and this year your employer "suddenly" offers home tanning supplies. I have always said that I left Carolina because the "movers and the shakers" guys never get the credit when it is a good one. Chalk one up to the Morgan ego train ride!! My train left that station a long time ago....and it ain't never coming back.

2. Gary A

Gary A N. West Taxidermy 208-404-9706

I've got 6 or so full deer hides that need to be tanned. I got a shaver and a 6' tall tumbler. I'm sure intrigued how soft a skin I could get w/your formula. I've been using paratan w/decent results. gary

3. livingtrophytaxidermy

livingtrophytaxidermy New Member

hey aubrey sorry to hear about all that man.i dry tan and am acutually finishing up my 6 ft tumbler.i have a ton of questions about your product.i am planning on having the back skins of 2 safaris sent to me from the tannery whenever it arives could i use it on kudu eland or smaller.or steer?would like to get some.

4. BossHog

BossHog Skips Deer on Cedar Plaque.

OS,
    I just came across this thread. I hate to here about your back. My wife has had the exact same thing for several years. She went through one surgery to shave off some ruptured disk. Now she is on pain medication and goes to a pain management doctor for injections about every three months. I recommend, if you haven't already, go to a good pain management doctor. They help so much more than your regular MD. Most of the time MD's don't want to give you much for pain.
    On a different note I have always wondered why someone couldn't come up with a product like this. I live in central Texas and our deer here in the hill country are small. mature buck around 125 - 135 pounds on foot. I would be mostly tanning them and some axis for throw pillows and such. I would definitely like to try it. If you don't mind, just pm or email the details and I'll get back with you.

5. nitt

nitt Member

I tan hundreds of hides a year for myself and other taxidermists I use many different tans for different animals i have all the tanning things a guy need I would be interested in trying your product just pm me or send me an email on prices and other info and I will give it a shot got at least a 150 or so deer to tan yet. thanks

6. OS,
    I have 2 whitetail, a ram and a bear backskins. Yes I am planning on tanning all of these in my shop. Just don't want to drop the $'s for a tannery on these.
    I would be happy to try your stuff and give a written review. Let me know what the details on getting some and the cost.
    I normally tan with ez100 and use safety acid for the pickle. I have a small round knife, but and going to be upgrading to the S&S soon. Please PM me with details.

7. CarlScroggins

CarlScroggins Oct. 25 1985...It was a good day.

I haven't tried tanning anything at home other than something thin skinned like a rabbit, but I would love to give it a try. I have a very small doe skin in the freezer that would be a perfect test skin, so if you are sending out samples, I would love to try your product. Who knows, if it works out, I may be cleaning out my freezer. :) Would it also be good for wet tanning?

8. WildlifeLady

WildlifeLady Member

Ohio
    PM sent