1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My first lifesize mount and habitat

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by deerstuffer, Feb 27, 2010.

1. deerstuffer

deerstuffer New Member

Though I have been doing taxidermy work part time for over 20 years, this was my first attempt at a lifesize mount besides a squirrel so this is also my first attempt at a habitat base. This was a North Carolina coastal black bear that weighed in at 490 pounds.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sashakittythegreat

Sashakittythegreat Beginner Taxidermist(2 mounts down)

very nice job!

3. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

Im sure that you put a lot of time and work into this mount, but im going to point out a few things that will help on your next one.
    First, the whole body looks "off balance" is that a factory pose or altered?
    The eyes have no expression, just wide open, blank stare.
    The painting around the lips is the wrong color. The bottom outside lip should be more fleshy and less stark black.
    The ears are kind of ragged and not set to give any attitude to the mount.
    Inner nostril color is too deep pink and not blended properly.
    Upper lipline appears bumpy and uneven.
    I hope you can make use of these points in the future. You have the basic recipe down, now you just need to fine tune the details.

4. ill x2 wha bill said something with the position of the animal is wrong onw of his feet should be on a rock or log or something but overall a good first lifesize keep at it

5. jazz_fan1

jazz_fan1 Member

The cedar woodwork is really nice. I like that.

6. Work on the details as mentioned earlier. I realy like the base work also.

7. deerstuffer

deerstuffer New Member

The form is not altered. It is a McKenzie L-1171 or something similar if I remember right. As for the colors. That is why I posted a request on here for pictures of a bear's mouth but only got a response wanting to sell me some pics. This is my own bear so I can always go back and repaint it when I get some pics, but it was taking up too much room in the shop for now so I finished it and moved it out. I don't anticipate doing another one but I appreciate the remarks to make the next on better. I just do this part-time and didn't and don't feel comfortable enough to mount someone elses bear. Thanks

8. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

Deerstuffer, money spent on reference photos or any reference material, is money well spent. The least expensive, and some of the best reference photos come from hunting magazines. Start a 3 ring binder with with an assortment of closeup photos, of a variety of game, before you know it, it will be full of great reference photos. They will not only give a direction of the proper colors to use, but ear placement, eye shape, hair patterns and so on.

9. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    And did you buy them? No, you did not. So ... what ... it's my fault the mount turned out looking so bad? You chose not to buy them, so the fault is all on you! You go cheap you get the results you get. Photography is my other business, and I don't make money giving my stuff away for free. You seem to think you're "owed" great references when in truth all you had to do was buy them, you'd have been educated, and the bear might not have half the problems it currently does.

The internet is not the "end all" so many like to think it is. It will not yield the kind of close-up shots of eyes, nose, ears, paws, and mouth that you need to do good, correct, and competent work. Only a crazed Photographer with the balls to get into cages with these animals will collect the kind of reference details that all Taxidermists and Wildlife Artists need ... and that's me. :eek: :p

Finally, I want to thank Wayne R for his statement. Thank you, Wayne. Heed what he has written, and the next time you are looking for great references ... you know how to reach me! ;)

John.

10. striker12

striker12 Member

x2 on what Wayne R said i think most of us would be lost with out them
    i know i would be

11. deerstuffer

deerstuffer New Member

No, I didn't "but" them because 1) I didn't have time to wait on snail mail and 2) I couldn't verify that your pics would have been worth whatever the expense would have been. I did enough research to find that you are an Obamalover so I figure you would think your pics are what everybody needs and should be shoved down the throats of all like it or not, just like a true Democrat. I didn't get the pics I needed but did get some helpful advice from some others and will repaint the mount in due time. As stated, I don't plan to mount any more bear, so I don't want or need to spend a bunch of money on reference photos. I am sure if I had had more time, someone on here would have helped me with what I needed because to most, that is what this site is about: taxidermist helping each other. Unfortunately, to some, it is just a place for self-promotion and the bashing of others.

12. LordRusty

Ohio
    Well, if you're more worried about my politics than doing what you need to succeed, you are just going to always be a hack and suck at what you do! Think on that one kid! By the way, lots of folks on here with something to sell are self promoters. As a businessman, a big part of what one does is self promotion! And my photos ARE what you would need to produce accurate renditions. Well, that, and you need the talent to put them to use ... which I can see you do not.

John.

13. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I did an advanced search in the reference photos and in less than 5 minutes found: http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,16351.0.html

14. jazz_fan1

jazz_fan1 Member

I wouldn't have paid for the pics either! Nothing wrong with asking for people to share, without expecting as sales pitch. "The internet is not the "end all" so many like to think it is." I couldn't disagree more.

15. LordRusty

Ohio
    What is this the land of the purple dinosaur? "Sharing is caring!" Kiss mine! We're all in this to make money. So, what you're saying is, you share what you think you know with your potential customers? HELL NO! You ask a fair price ... you ask to get paid for what you provide! Oh, but that's okay ... for everyone else but me?! Go kiss a purple dinosaurs a$$! The next time you need to order supplies, why don't you try asking them if they'd be willing to "share" what they have with what you need?

John.

16. LionHeart

LionHeart New Member

Here we go again ::) John, you are such an A$$, I mean REALLY ::)

17. cooper669

cooper669 New Member

deerstuffer did not mention any names when he said someone just tried to sell him pics. Sounds like LordRusty is just pissed that he did not make the sale on his ever so great reference.

18. Helltigress

Helltigress New Member

Well, just my two cents.

1) You could've asked if anyone thought his pictures were worth it.

2) A$$ or not (I personally think not), I've purchased some of Lord Rusty's reference photos and they were EXACTLY what I needed.

19. DRon

DRon New Member

Lord Rusty gives enough as is, offering to sell his product is no different than going to shows or having websites to sell your own taxidermy services.

20. deerstuffer

deerstuffer New Member

Exactly!!!!!! If he promoted his pictures as well as he does his ignorance, he wouldn't have time to be on here.