1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Gatorpalooza was a huge success!!

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by wetnwild, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Well after all the planning, and coordination with PTA board members, the Seven Springs staff, and all the contributors which i must list here
    WASCO, VanDykes, McKenzie, Jim Allred, Joe Kulis, Olaus, etc etc, it was reaaly something to see. we mounted up about 17 alligaots and i got to tell ya, the work these people turned out was amazing. We did go over our time limits a little ( 10 hours over ) LOl but it was well worth it. We had two young up and comers whose smil;es when they were done made all the effort worth every second of it. I was so proud of all the attendees, and they way they all worked together at the table shelping each other out, it was like a big group of friends just having a good time together. It will be something I will always remember. I would also like to thank my good Friend Matt Zimmerman, whos tireles effort with me on this, made it all possible. We are possibly thinking of doing something again like this nerxt year, but it is just a thought, if the PTA will have us back. The live gator was the talk of the show, and the real star. he was photographed more than I think any other animal in the world. he was a bit grumpy at first , but then settled in for about a two hour photo session with hundreds of people who wanted to meet him!! it was awesome!!!! Also wanted to Thank Frank Kotula and Mac Maclane as members of the UTA who was a sponsor of the event. It just shows you how the inovation of a concept within the UTA is pointing us in the right direction.Thank you all for making gatorpalooza a huge success, and another bright spot for the PTA!!!!!!!!!Cant wait till next year!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Tom, glad to hear it worked out so well for you all. PA has such a good group of people, everyone is a friend. Congrats.

3. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Congrats Tommy. Glad it all worked out for you guys. Can't wait to see some of the pictures from the even. Seen a couple but I know there are a lot more out there. ;D

4. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

Seriously...everyone who was involved with this thing is top notch. The gators were amazing. 18 critters running around including the live one. Skiers were amazed...they'd come in the main doors all snowy & boom! There's a 50 inch alligator smiling at them! :) It was very thoughtful & helpful of the Zimmerman's to bring Fluffy (Did the kids give him/her a real name?) to the show. Thousands of reference pictures were taken. I had never even touched a live alligator before until that day and then I couldn't keep my hands off of him/her.

I am a hands on learner so this seminar was perfect. I enjoyed the heck out of the other seminars and learned a ton of course. This one though...actually cutting into an animal myself...it was a golden opportunity and I learned a TON. If any of you have the opportunity to take it next year...DO IT. I don't know how organized Matt & Tom are for next year, but if you can sign up NOW, do it. They are both very encouraging, helpful teachers and you'll learn a bunch! I sat at a table with Bill Motzer and David George. We helped each other, chit chatted, enjoyed the heck out of the time.

I haven't seen all of the finished (up to this point) mounts but the ones I did see...they were dang good. I'm hooked on reptiles. I've done a few...peeling snakes is <b>entirely</b> too much fun but now I know I can do gators too...and that just rocks! And I will apply the techniques I learned to other critters too. I'm very pleased and happy that I chose this seminar.

Now c'mon y'all! Post your pictures! :) I want to see! :)

5. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Lisa,........

**I'm hooked on reptiles**

Welcome to my world. ;D

Kerby...

6. Thanks Tom and Matt......and Thanks to the UTA and PTA.....Like Lisa M. I am a hands-on learner,also......books and videos are nice.....but having 2 of the best instructors right there on the spot to answer my novice questions and give helpful hints makes a world of difference. And of course having all the vendors right there to pick the perfect base and finishing supplies that i needed for the Gator was great also....All the seminars were great......but this is the one that I personally enjoyed the most......all 15 hours......LOL.... 8)

7. MattZ

MattZ New Member

I would like to first of all congratulate Tom for all his winnings. GET U NEXT YR! lol Yes the Gator finally has a name. The children all put a name on a piece of paper and Maliciah Crouse picked one out of the pile. His/her name is now Oscar.

8. dartondude

dartondude New Member

just wanted to say THANKS to matt(the world champ) and tom. even though the girls could skin faster than me i had a great time! i should get my gun soon tom , so stop by next time you are down this way, i'll let you shoot it

9. cam2

cam2 New Member

had a great time as well.it was my first time mounting a gator.it was fun working under matt and toms supervisionthanksguys.also cograts to dartondude what a way to open a can of whoopa**

10. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

I want to thank Matt & Tom, and everyone involved in the gatorpalooza. My son loved it! and I hope they do something like this again down the road. We met great people and it was well worth the trip!
    Blaine & Hunter

11. Tom and Matt, great job, and all the participants also. I was just a bystander for the most part and enjoyed it very much. Let me know ASAP if this is going to happen again next year. I'll be the first to sign up

12. Like the movie field of dreams, if you want it, it will come. have not confirmed anyhting yet with anyone at the pta, but if they give us the Ok, we will be back next year and Gatorpalooza again will take over!! Upcoming news will give details!! We learned a lot from doing something like this , and hope that if they allow us, next year will be even BIGGER and better!!

13. I had my doubts going into it, that I would really like doing them. I'm here to tell ya I'm hooked. Tom and Matt, you guys went above and beyond my expectations. Thanks again to you all and it really was great getting to put a face to the name. Lisa, I don't think I've ever met a more upbeat person. Nice meeting yunz all.

Dave

14. Tom...just a thought.......How about a Turtlepalooza??? Oh wait ....3 weeks doing a turtle seminar is just not possible....never mind........ ::)

15. We can do a turtle palooza, it will just take all of two days LOL And i mean ALL of two days LOL

16. Lisa M

Dave...I didn't have any doubts...I knew it'd be a ton of fun & I'd learn lots. I had noooooo idea how much though! One thing I learned was that I already kinda knew how to do it! It's very similar to most of the other work we do. But there are nuances...tips & tricks...that if I hadn't gone to the seminar, would have eluded me for years! It was well worth the time, money & effort. It was simply awesome. I loved it. The reptile mounting hook is in my belly. I have a small lizard in my freezer...I saved it for the rib bones to put on a catcher. But I'm making eyes at mounting it now...lol. :) Thank you for the "upbeat" comment. Life's short. Might as well live in the sunshine. Just keep the sunscreen handy. ;)

I'm in. :) Who'll bring the turtle and can I hold it?? :)

17. OK, what am I missing here? Who is this face on y'all's avatar?

18. Never mind. Found it in another thread.

19. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Baileys hubby James...check out Mikes post elsewhere.

20. Lisa M

Bailey did really well at the PA show. Here's a link explaining things Jan. http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,204790.0.html

Edit: You responded quicker than me Bill. ;) Ornery guy! :)