1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Are There Any DVDs That Show How to Build Up a Fin With Epoxy?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by 22Fathoms, Mar 2, 2010.

1. 22Fathoms

22Fathoms Member

Utah
    I hear people mention "building up fins" with epoxy, but I don't know what that means exactly. I would assume that the leading edges are built up, but what about the rest of the fin? Can anyone answer that for me? Thanks

2. FinFlight

FinFlight TRAIL CREEK

When you back you fin your actully buiding them up with fin cream sobo glu i use luster flex from tasco. but if youe talking about a repair with epoxy repairing the fin spli thats a differnt yoou just put a small amount in the split and pread the epoxy toward the back of the tail then sculp the finrays back i used to do it that way but i use split fin fr vandykes it looks much more convinceing than what i can do with the epoxy.

3. GBRUCH

GBRUCH "I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

Technically to be accurate(not so necessary for customer work where close is "goodenuff") you must rebuild a fin to look natural and for many fins simply coating them with a fin cream several times is not accurate.
    When I judge fish I show what I mean with a a real fin coated a few times and a cast--I use a bass tail as well as a steely pect and caudal fin to demonstrate the shrinkage.

I can't answer how to rebuild em cause I mold/cast the ones I use.

4. I use to cut out a piece of yellow manila card stock to the shape I wanted the fin to look like. I put in few pins hold the fin card in place and rebuild the damage fin with epoxy sculpt: then use tools IE. paint brush sculpting tools. Now i just cut them off and order replacement fins though lake country replicas, when the fins are bad. glue them in with magic fin. Mark up the cost of fins and shipping & charge for damage repair work $50.00

gl-Todd