1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

bobcat critique...finally close ups of the face..

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by B2L, Mar 2, 2010.

1. B2L

B2L New Member

heres the 2nd cat that ive ever done.. I was pretty pleased with him as was the customer.. I didnt mount the bird.. dont know how.. wasnt impressed with it.. So... time to learn birds this summer... Sorry didnt get close ups of the face straight on.. Whacha all think? Sorry the pics are big.. didnt have time to resize..
    thanks
    eric
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Cameraman

Cameraman Member

Re: bobcat critique...

looks good.

3. JakeBrake

JakeBrake New Member

i see nothing but boxes with a red x in them... no pics.

4. Roger Ralph

Roger Ralph Member

WY

Looks good. I can see the wire that's holding up the bird in the third picture.

5. MattHCT

MattHCT New Member

There aren't any good pics of the face, and thats where the work will show. From what I can see the nostrils appear misshaped and the nose pad color apprears to dark. Every bobcat I take in has a different colored nose pad. But your looks too brown. Post more face pics, especially the eyes.

6. JakeBrake

JakeBrake New Member

how come everyone else can see the pics but I can't.... I only see boxes with little red X's in them....

7. Re: bobcat critique...

Hit your refresh button! LOL

8. B2L

B2L New Member

Ill get more pics of the face tomorrow.. have to stop by the guys place anyway.. ill get them on here Thursday...
    Thanks
    Eric

9. TIM DUNCAN

TIM DUNCAN surry county va

most people put the wire through the back of the bird not under it why did you choose that you can see it, it is easier to hide through the back and in the wild most birds are flushed and swatted out of the sky by a bobcat or other predators just my 2 cents not a bad mount nice keep it up

10. mathewstax

mathewstax Don Enrique Ranch

I like the mount and the way you have the cat jumping, would like to see more pics of the face. Did you use a Dorsal or Ventral cut.

11. B2L

B2L New Member

I put the rod where i put it because you cant see it when looking at it... The pic where you can see it was taken while lying on my back under it.. i also wanted separation b/n the cat and bird.. and i dont think in the "wild" the predator wins everytime....... As for the face pics.. im getting them tonight... i had stopped last night but no one was home..
    mathewtax - i dorsal cut it..
    thanks
    eric

12. Traut

Traut New Member

Who is that bare foot person holding up that cloth? humm..

13. Re: bobcat critique...

Also, do you like your new CVA muzzleloader. Hope it wasn't in the box when you took the pic. LOL!!!

14. B2L

B2L New Member

new pics for better critique

15. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

The cats face looks like it's not even excited about his lunch. The wrong expression, eye shape is to relaxed, ears are relaxed and not alert, the whiskers are all pointed whickity whack, pluck them out and go look at a house cat to see how they hang, then glue them back in.

16. B2L

B2L New Member

Mr t thanks for the tips.. agree with ya on all but the reason why the ears are the way they are is because thats the way Jan put them on the cat in the same poze in the video she made... whiskers.. i trried her method of removing some b4 mounting and then gluing back in.. yeah thats a nightmare!
    thanks again
    Eric

17. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

To me the bridge of the nose looks way too wide. I'm not sure why unless it's the black streaks on either side of it. Did you paint those in? None of the bobcats around here have black streaks running down the face like cheetahs.

18. B2L

B2L New Member

19. B2L

B2L New Member

i did some self correcting.. i think.. based on the movements i showed with the arrows would that of helped?
    [​IMG]

20. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I looked at the link and still didn't see the black lines running down each side of the nose. I did notice a couple of other things. I think moving the skin around they way you indicated would help some. I would also build up the brow a little more next time. You did a good job of getting hair to hair pattern under the nose. It looks like you have too much sculpt around the eyes. Did you put clay on the nose/cheek area because it still looks too large/broad to me. Maybe the camera is distorting it. Sometimes digital cameras make whatever is closest look too large.